1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW Wont Read DVD Discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dustindd, Mar 17, 2007.

1. dustindd

dustindd Member

I just installed a brand new 160 GB hard drive into my Sony Vaio laptop (PCG-GRT280ZG) to upgrade it to Windows Vista. I've spent a lot of time on Sony's web site and Microsoft's to ensure a smooth transition. I have verified that the hard drive was successfully installed.

However, my DVD-RW drive will not read the Windows Vista Install DVD and I cannot proceed any further until this is fixed. I've had problems with the DVD drive since my wife first purchased the laptop. It reads CD-ROMs just fine, it almost always had problems with DVDs.

In fact, it can boot off of the Windows XP Install CD with no problems, just not the Windows Vista Install DVD. Any suggestions?

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

did you install the drivers for the dvd rom drive?

3. dustindd

dustindd Member

There is no Operating System installed. It reads the Windows XP OS CD just fine and I didnt install any special drivers. It wont read the Windows Vista OS DVD. Its always had a problem with DVDs.

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

there must be something wrong with the vista dvd, will the vista dvd, open in another system?

5. cammel8

cammel8 Member

I am having the same problem. although its not just vista. I can read any cd but the dvd-r wont read, I have xp on dvd and it wont work. I know it works in other players on other machines, I have used it before. It even burned the dvd in the dvd player then ejected it and re inserted it and it wouldnt read. put it in another and it worked fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive to no avail. I have updated the drivers. nothing. any help would be appreciated.

6. dustindd

dustindd Member

I purchased a new DVD-RW drive and installed it... no problems, and like magic my Windows Vista DVD worked... so it must have been a problem with the drive. Sony wanted $299 for the drive (not sure about installation) but I found it cheaper online (link below) and installed it myself.

http://www.impactcomputers.com/1-796-834-12.html

Thanks for your help everyone.

Dustin