1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-rw wont read

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kubotaz4, Feb 28, 2005.

1. kubotaz4

kubotaz4 Member

hey, my friend just sent me dvd copies, they play fine in her computer (she burnt them from her comp too), but they wont even recognize in mine...any help?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi kubotaz4, welcome to aD,

It sounds like she's using some pretty crappy media. Lesson learned, Using chea media will always come back and bite you in the butt (Lol)

Try playing it in a really crappy standalone like a Cyber-Home ($39.99 everywhere), it should work there. If not, it's coaster city ~>

Otherwise try these 2 "tricks" -

This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try -

The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" and works like a "Bad Dog". :)

Cheers,

Pete

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just another thought to add.. Seeing how they are RW disk's did she finalize them? If not they won't play in your drive until they are finalized. You could ask her to put it on a regular R DVD and see if you can play it then also.