1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW write-once behavior - can't format or erase

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sharmakay, Dec 14, 2002.

1. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Okay... besides the many other things that seem to be going wrong (I have yet to make an actual DVD disk to play in my blasted DVD player... so much for upgrading all my equipment), the latest is that I have the newest Sony drive that's compatible with CD-R/+R, CD-RW/+RW, DVD-R/+R, and DVD-RW/+RW ... in other words, just about everything. I thought that by getting something that supposedly "does it all", I wouldn't have to worry about media. Okay... did I mention I'm dumb?

Anyway, my umpteenth attempt has resulted in tonight's gain of one DVD+R in the garbage can (I feel a 2nd one coming soon), and FOUR DVD-RW's that appear (although I've spent all night long trying to "fix" them) to be the next ones sitting in the garbage can as well.

Upon "burning" to the disks (only had about 25 mins to burn, as these were "just tests", so there's no possibility of the disk not having "enough space"), while it was "finalizing" my write-once, it would error out... right at the beginning of the finalize stage. Of course, I just HAD to try them anyway, so I went ahead and stuck them in the new DVD/VHS, all-in-one, player. Sure enough... didn't work. But hey! No problem, right? These are RWs! REwritable disks. Yeah... did I mention yet that I'm dumb?

Needless to say, the DVD-RW's wouldn't erase either. I tried five different burning programs (kept d/l'ing demos... as I said... been up all night...), and NONE of them would even acknowledge there was a disk in the drive. Tried all of them. Same story with each. I just bought these today. (And just think... I thought I'd SAVE some money by using frigging rewritables... I'd been better off just wasting a couple've DVD+Rs.) There are no scratches or anything. I have searched the internet for anything and everything I could find about this problem, but have found nothing.

Tapes are Memorex, Rewritable DVD-RW, Single Sided, Version 1.1. And of course, the Sony is that new drive (can't remember the model... something like 500 in it... was just released last month).

Ideas? Thoughts? Guesses? Should I just trash the 4 disks and chalk it up to another paycheck in the trash? (I really, really would hate having to do that).

Puhleeeeeez help. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2002
  2. scottl

scottl Member

sharmakay,

I too have this new "all-in-one" drive. I have successfully written files and erased them using the bundled "Record Now" software.

I would like to use this drive with the ClicktoDVD software that came with the VAIO but no luck so far.

Scott

3. Otherone

Otherone Guest

I dont have the sony drive, but the pioneer A05. I use Roxio CD Creator Platinum with XP drivers update. I start a data cd and then click tools or whatever at the top and select erase. Works good. There is always the possibility you have a defective sony drive. I havew Nero Burn too, but it flakes out a lot and I dont use it much because I think it has bugs. I use DVDX copy to backup DVD. Works for me but due to peoples different harware configs, it does not work for some people. If you just want to make a DVD that will play on the computer, use smartripper to get the Bob files to your HD then write them as data files back onto DVD's. Inclide the video_ts and Audio_ts folders and all the ifo, bup files on both discs. Onlu use the vob for the main movie. I did this and it played on my computer, but not the home DVD player. But then, I have a cheapie player. The question I have is what exactly are you trying to achieve? Your media is probably OK. The error is a configuration matter. What program are you using for this procedure?

4. DaveN

DaveN Member

I just bought the Sony DRU-500A and had almost the same problem. I bought a box of 5 Memorex DVD-RW V1.1 and the "Simple Backup" program just kicks them out saying they are not valid disks. Then I started examining them. There is a faint circular stain just outside the center spindle hole on each disk. The Sony disk did not have any marks or stains: it was perfect. As you may know, CDs and DVDs read and write from the inside out. I can format the Sony DVD-RW that came with the drive, and it works just fine. I hope you saved your reciept. I am returning the Memorex disks and buying a different brand.

5. Otherone

Otherone Guest

I just read somewhere in this forum that the sony drive is real particular about what media it uses. I know for sure it does not like Verbatim discs.

6. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Ah... will keep that in mind. Also... I FINALLY got it figured out how to extract VOB files and convert them with 2 simple steps into an editable file. And it doesn't take more than an hour total to do it. I'll have to start a new thread on this one if anyone's interested.

What I was trying to achieve was to erase the CD-RW disks so I could reuse them. CD+RW disks work fine. But the CD-RW disks allowed me to write once. After attempting to erase them for a second use, they stopped being recognized completely. I mean... you stick the disk in, and every software package around (and I have downloaded a LOT), says "Please insert disk". I mean... the disks are simply not being recognized at all. But again... CD+RW... nooo problem. Both disks are FujiFilm. So... I guess the moral of this story is: "don't use CD-RW disks in the new Sony 500 all-in-one drive". I now have 5 CD-RW's that I still haven't had the stomach to throw away. They just sit there glaring at me from a shelf above my head.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2003
  7. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Really??! You're able to return the disks? Hmmm... Bought them at Best Buy... still have the receipt... Oh... darn... no I didn't... my mom got them for me at Fry's as my "thank you for your computer techie help" gift. Ya know... after all these years, I finally get something in return, and the blasted things don't work.

8. T2K

T2K Guest

I wish i lived close to a FRY's, closest store is about an hour away