1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd rw

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nigel1, Mar 3, 2004.

1. nigel1

nigel1 Guest

am I correct in assuming that if I burn onto dvd rw on my pc as opposed to a dvd recorder it wont permenantly put an image onto the disk and I can remove as necessary.
    reason I want to put 2 films onto 1 disk, now I know that after using a dvd r it finalises the disk end of story so I was thinking about using a rw which I assume does not finalise then putting the second film on the rw behind the 1st then transferring the whole of the rw to a dvd r then cleaning the rw. Am I being over simplistic or can this not be done. I have platinum and nero installed and the items I want to transfer are my own digital hol vids.

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

NOPE it will not finalise its like a vhs video tape you rewind and tape something else over it ....

just remember when you have finished with what is on the dvd rw to format it again afterwards

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nigel1,

Hey there Buddy, can I maybe ask a silly question ?

If as an end result you want 2 movies on a single DVD, why don't you just do it with DVD Shrink (re-author mode)or DVD2One (in the join mode) ?

Another question (there's really no stopping me when I start, he, he)

How were you going to Shrink the movies that you were going to put on the DVD RW ?

If you were going to put 1 movie on the DVD, were you going to Shrink it so there was room for the next one or were you just going to overwrite the first one with the second - Let's see now, that would make the the first one first and the second one second and then the second one first and the first one first, lost - then the lost first could be the second second first and the the first second could be the first second, second and the second second lost could then be - -

OK, OK, would make the frist first lost to the first second and then the first first lost could be the first second's second which would - -

Damn, I hate when that happens, lost my fleightly little mind once again -

Hey Nigel1, Y'all still there ?? -

Why not use DVD Shrink in the re-author mode :D)

yea and, Welcome to the Club :p

Pete

4. nigel1

nigel1 Guest

ok had to chuckle at the last post. But the two films are quite short only 10 mins a piece so perhaps naievely I thought they would fit on easily. I like the simplistic approach if poss as I am no tekkie. But can have a look at shrink and see how that works dont know about 1to1 as I haven't heard anything about it before. Backing up all my other sfuff has been easy so I thought I would try to be a little bit brave clever when I posed that original question.

Does shrink actually tell you how many gb the film is

Q how do you reformat a dvdrw. I usually use it in my dvd recorder and have never had to do so before just use and use again

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nigel1,

It's not necessary to reformat your RW - When you get ready to use it again - you will just write over it -
    To put both Video's on your single RW use DVD Shrink in the re-author mode, open one file at a time and move it over to the left-hand side under the DVD and you'll be good to go -

Oh yea, the size of your work will be reflected on the bar at the top of the page :)

Pete

6. nigel1

nigel1 Guest

Thanks for clearing that up for me

7. nigel1

nigel1 Guest

I know this has been mentioned before Pete but I think it is a really good idea. You explain things to us newbies in such an easy way and your knowledge is second to none, why don't you put it to the other moderators to start a new section JUST for beginners like me. You could head it up and we would know that anything we needed to know would be answered in an easy to understand fashion. There is so much I want to know but it is difficult to know where to pose the questions I have. I am sure a lot of what I and other newbies want to know is answered elsewhere but to be honest a lot of it goes way over my head. I am sure that I speak for many other newbies out there. Questions could be monitored and amended by you if they were repeats so the threads didn't get too long. I don't know if you would be up for being our newbie moderator but it would be one heck of a way of introducing new members to the site......just a thought anyway...............nigel......perhaps a start would be to help us all put our system on our posts like yours

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

nigel,

I thank you very much for such a glowing complement, but please understand, I do this for "fun" - I don't have the free time to available to "Host" such a large project as you suggest. - I’d like to continue to help where I can but should it cease to be “fun” I believe that it might hurt AfterDawn instead of help and that’s one thing I don’t wish to do -

Also, my knowledge is nowhere near as vast as you might think - If you were to read all of my posts you would see that I rely many times on those who truly knowledgeable individuals to come to my aid. Without “De Boss”, Orpheus, Praetor, herbsman, “Doc”, Jerry, fasfrank, and others I wouldn’t seem as well versed as you might think :)

Thanks for the thought and I’m glad I was of some help to you :D)

"P"

9. nigel1

nigel1 Guest

I fully understand pete it was just a thought.I will continue to read and enjoy the many posts and the information they bring.

Best wishes.

Nigel