1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TRT, Jan 16, 2005.

1. TRT

TRT Member

Hi..I have just purchased a Dell dimension 4700. It has an HL-DT-ST (GDR8163B) DVD rom and a NEC DVD + - RW (3450-A). I have some burn programs called Sonic MY DVD and Record Now that came pre-installed..I am wanting to back up some of my dvd movies. I was told all that I needed was DVD decrytpor and DVD shrink to do this. My question is. Is my dvd media hardware any good and will it work with these programs. And is there anything else I need to know as far as changing anything or burn speeds.
    Thanks

2. brobear

brobear Guest

4X is a good burning speed for DVD movies. http://www.dvdshrink.info for a quick guide to Shrink and Decrypter. With the movie ripped to the hard drive, any decent program that will record DVD will work. Many prefer Nero and CopyToDVD for burning. The hardware is decent (use good media), so have fun.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Something I wrote in the past, but you may find some handy info in it.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello TRT, Your hardware looks ok. I am not sure about the sonic and record now. Dvd shrink and dvd decrypter should be all you need. I however use the combination of dvd shrink and nero. With some of the newer encryptions being placed on dvd's, anydvd by slysoft helps out. Dvd decrypter has been updated a few weeks ago so make sure you have the newer version.You can get a free trial of nero here,just click the link.

Dvd rom drive along with your separate burner is the way to go. I do it that way,place original in rom,blank in burner, 4 or 5 clicks later-process started.
    Here's a few tips:

1) Use quality branded media. This is the most critical part of dvd burning.This is not cd burning,dvd's are a lot more complicated and the cheap media will screw you up. Maxell,tdk,sony, and fuji are decent. No memorex,generic,bulk discount, and store brand name crap like staples. Buying media in a store,look for made in Japan on the wrapper. Japan produces the best media.

2) sensible 4x burn speed is necessary especially for beginners. Burning faster may give you errors and also those backups may not play on your stand alone players. Again the high quality media takes care of most issues on stand alone playability.

3)Open up dvd shrink,edit,preferences: Here set the target from dv5/dv9 to custom-4300 -4400 mbs,ok.
    This will keep the outside edge of the discs from being burned. The outer edge of the discs is where uneven dye's exist in poor media. Its also where your fingers touch them.

4) Get some rw's to practice with.

5) Plan on doing a lot of de-frags as dvd ripping can put a heavy toll on your hard drive.

6)Get rid of the spy ware,they can also screw you up.

Check out the many guides here at AD on any of these programs,double check your settings.There are a lot of resources here at AD for the taking. Check out the software tab,dvd-r tools.Also the dvd-r media forum is a place to go to find good quality discs at a good price.

Any more questions,come on back. Just make sure you go through the guides first.Good Luck

5. brobear

brobear Guest

That appears to be a rule of thumb for everyone.
    Some of that post is debatable. I do a lot of movies, so why haven't I had a lot of problems over the past year with my hard drives? I may have defragged once. Older drives may have needed it, but with the newer equipment the need is less pronounced.
    Made in Japan is okay, but most of the media is made in Taiwan, a lot of it good. However, Taiwan is also famous for a lot of no name crap. Also, you can't just go by brands, often brands sell media by different manufacturers. Ritek, Ricoh and other top manufacturers are located in Taiwan. Don't want to go into media here, that is one of the most heated topics on the forum sometimes.
    Watch the terms. Generic? The generic brand of Ritek manufacturing is the Ritek brand media; same with Ricoh. Top line media sold under several different brands, including the ones mentioned; Maxell,tdk,sony, and fuji. These are "made in Taiwan" brands as well. Many brands sell in bulk. I often buy bulk to save. It's the same media as sold in smaller quantities. You pay for the additional packaging. Buying branded is a good idea though, but it can be in bulk and the generic brand of a manufacturer, as long as it is a good manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  6. brobear

brobear Guest

One good thing to learn from forums: analyze carefully what you're presented with on the forums.

7. TRT

TRT Member

Thanks guys for all the info..

8. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome.