1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Server

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by bleedback, Mar 25, 2006.

1. bleedback

bleedback Member

Hi. I'd like to place all my DVD on my HD so I can access from any computer in my home. I'd prefer not to encode to avi/divx. I use WinMedia Center but that seems only to recognize avi/mpg files in the video browser.Most of all like to keep the ability to use a remote control and not have to start up a dvd/vob player manually each time. Any experience with software out there to do this or do I HAVE to convert to avi/divx. Thanks

2. wildo2ne

wildo2ne Member

I have never built a dvd server, as far as I know any software out there to do that is proprietary, there are custom servers available but they cost a fortune, in the thousands of dollars range last time I looked

3. id3372

id3372 Member

Use DVD Decrypter to rip all the dvd's into Iso format. Then set the file associations so that clicking on a file will open it with VLC.

4. ILL-C

ILL-C Member

5. Matt321

Matt321 Member

So if i wanted to rip my dvds onto my pc and play it threw my stero system with Dolby Digital and the same picture quality with a dvd server program or menue how would i do that?

6. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

hey, check this out, this is what i do/ have heard done.

i have a media center/server connected to my tv, but before that i used my main server to house all my files.

what you do is set dvdShrink (it's the best for ripping even if you don't want to shrink it) then go onto theatertek.com and get their DVD player. go download MediaPortal (freeware) and set it up to read from files (whether on your network or not) then set it up to use outside player for DVD's (TheaterTek).

both of which will allow you to use your remote... and it simplifies the process because if you set it up right, like i said, you get to use programs like dvd profiler to get all the movie info and pictures.

what others have done, i never tried this, is set up a Macro so that when they click on an .iso in media center, it mounts it in Daemon tools, then your just playing it EXACTLY!!! like a DVD, and as such it will be great quality with all the features of ripping it to folder. i fu$@ing hate .avi files, they are shit... excuse th language.

okay, it's time for me to go sit down with my pipe and a bowl of Christmas blend by Tinderbox... i love it.

7. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

Is This one dead or what... look at my new sig!!

8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I once downloaded a free MCE 2005 add-on utility that runs as part of MCE. You can load discs thru this program onto your HD. It allows you to select the title from a list, then downloads the DVD cover art and I think the movie synopsis. You then use your MCE remote to access "Watch a Movie", then you can pick the DVD by the cover art and select it to start playback. I assume if you hook your PC output to your receiver, you should be in good shape.

I gave up on this at the time because of drive space issues. I thought ratDVD would help me store more movies on my HD, but it had way too many playback issues. Now with HD and BD movies this idea is toast.

Only Bill Gates will be able to own a high-def media server - can you imagine the size of that server (what is a 100 terabytes?).

9. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

what exactly is this program... it sounds great...

and can you rip the DVD's as a folder, obviously that's the best type so.... that would be cool if you could.....

10. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I am not home and I cannot remember how I got that software. It was freeware, so I will look in my download folder when I get home.

I was just talking about that software today at Best Buy. Now that they have a 2 terrabyte drive available, I might try my old solution.

The program ripped non-protected discs to a folder (I think). I don't remember if it was one big .iso or a folder. It was simple to use and integrated perfectly with Media Center.

My Sony started to have MCE errors lately and I lost some functionality in Media Center. I cannot test that add-on until I rebuild my drive and reinstall the orginal applications.

11. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

Please!!!!

you have to find that information for me... HEHE!!

thanks again for your time and i would greatly appreciate all that you can offer

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I looked and couldn't find anything. The software is pure Media Center Addition now, and there is no hint of who made the add-on.

I have to rebuild my hard-drive soon, so I will need to reload all of my software. I need to find that file somehow.

I will continue to search the Net for the program. Sorry to get back to you so late...

13. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

OK - so you sound like you really want this software. I did some looking online and found the latest version - even updated to support Vista. From the home page, go to Downloads.

http://www.mymovies.name/

Looks like a lot of work has been put into this program since I first found it a year ago.

14. djsound

djsound Member

What is VLC?

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

A media player for more files than windoze media
    Gotta love google.

16. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I may be wrong, but I could swear I used VLC and it was pathetic. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else...

17. ugc

ugc Regular member

I have been looking for the same thing. This may be something you could try

http://www.tversity.com/home

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it may do what I am needing (and you too). If anyone has tried this s/w, could you post some comments on it?

18. dynofrk98

dynofrk98 Member

I've been using TVersity to stream videos from my PC to my PS3 and it works pretty good, I haven't figured out how to get the PS3 to stream DVD (.vob) files flawlessley yet, but all divx/xvid, mpg, avi etc.... all work great. Havent found a way to stream H.264 files yet either. Hopefully there is a way sometime soon.