1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Freezing during backup

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by pany, Jun 14, 2004.

1. pany

pany Member

I have been using DVD Shrink 3.1 for a few weeks without a problem. Now, when I get to doing the backup it DVD Shrink freezes my PC and I must reboot. It never freezes at the same point (ie. using the same movie it freezes at 10%; 18%; 6%; 46%). I am using Nero to burn the DVD but it fails during backup.

I am using a HP Athalon 1.1ghz, 80gb Hard drive, 384 mb RAM. I have at least 50gb on the hard drive and lately try to run DVD Shrink with at least 175mb of RAM free.

I have removed DVD Shrink and re-installed but still have same problem.

If I swithch to DVD-X-Copy Platinum it copies and burns without a problem...but I would rather use DVD Shrink.

Any suggestions??

2. pany

pany Member

By the way, my system is XP Home and my DVD Drive is a Lite-On LDW-811S.

I know that this topic has come up before. I have read all the theories. Just to let you all know that I have seen and have tried.
    I tried running on low priority,
    I tried running it while my Anti-Virus was disabled,
    I tried running it by un-attaching Nero,
    I tried running it with the PC case open and a household fan cooling down the drive (easier than installing a new fan and much quicker to test-also keeps the drive cooler than a PC exhaust fan),
    I tried each of the above separately and in different combinations.

Still no success. I tried running it with Task Manager open and it seems to constantly have around 96-98% CPU usage at all times while running Shrink. When the system froze it showed over 100meg of Ram (Physical Memory) available. So it does not look like a memory problem.

It would fail anywhere between 8% and 86% encoded. Also when I first started to use Shrink it would encode in about a half hour. Now it shows in the estimated time around 1 hour.

Any suggestions?????