1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink is slowing down, possible problem with CPU usage

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mdinap, Jan 22, 2005.

1. mdinap

mdinap Member

Hi everyone, I have a problem and i need some help. DVD Shrink and Decrpter are slowing down. It used to take me about 15 minutes to burn an entire DVD and now it is take about 50 minutes. THere is 42GB free on my 60GB hard drive. The CPU usage normally is betwen 0 and 4%. When im burning it goes to a constant 100% usage. It used to be at about 15-28% usage when burning.I believe this is the problem but i dont know why it is so high? No other programs are running during the burn either. Please someone else with this problem. I need my 15 minute times back

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

Check to see if you are still in DMA mode as sometimes it reverts back to PIO.

3. colw

colw Active member

You need to check that you are still in DMA mode.

If your system has reset to PIO mode, this will slow your times considerably.

4. colw

colw Active member

Ok bardie - beat me by a whisker.

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

LOL.....sorry.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Don't know why you're doing multiple posts on the same topic. Have you checked the drive DMA/PIO settings and what are they?

7. josieu

josieu Member

Hi Guys,
    having a real problem trying to burn forgotten I AM BURNING IT IN MY SONY BURNER WITH MEMOREX .
    but it says encrypted error i tried everything but can't burn it can you guys help.
    I tried to down load it from different ways and nothing .can anyone help me please.

8. bug7

bug7 Member

For Josieu :

Don't use cheap media for recording like memmorex. I advise you to look for maxwell, benq ,sony e.t.c.
    and all your error recording problem are gone

Good luck
    bug7

9. brobear

brobear Guest

josieu
    bug7 got it right on the media, memorex is usually crappy. But that's probably not the CSS error. It would help to know what programs you're using. Using Kreskin's mayo jar... I'd say you may need to download the latest version of AnyDVD and let it run in the background. http://www.slysoft.com While at the site, read the description so you'll know what the program is doing. I let AnyDVD run and rip my files to the HD with Decrypter and load those into the encoding app. Works pretty good irregardless of the encoding apps used.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  10. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

josieu

I had a hell of a time with forgoten just use the newest version of DVD Decrypter then DVD Shrink, it took me a long time to burn but eventualy it did burn.
    Hope this helps you.

11. synapse

synapse Member

Don't even bother with dvd-decrypter to rip it, use dvd-shrink right away. So much quicker and less of a hassle

12. brobear

brobear Guest

synapse
    Obviously you haven't tried it. Shrink on its own can't break the new sony encryption. For Shrink to work without an updated decrypter, the files would have to be edited.

jtigerr
    Thanks for the testimonial, it adds to what we have been saying.

13. synapse

synapse Member

I'm sorry, i wasn't aware of that. I have backed up atlesat 80 movies now and i have yet to have a problem with any of that. I have been using just dvd-shrink and tehre has been no problem and i have been backing up brand new movies. If you wouldn't mind, i was wondering if you had some samples of movies that wouldn't work. On my experience, it is much quicker and takes up less space.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

You should be checking the forum. Shrink has one to. You can link to it through http://www.dvdshrink.info . Little Black Book, Resident Evil Apocalypse, and Forgotten are 3 of the titles that just came out that Shrink won't work with alone. There are some others, I haven't compiled a list. Shrink was last updated in July 2004. Version 3.2.0.14 - 25 July 2004 The Sony encryption and some other strategies have come onto the market since then. According to Shrink, that was the last update (he might change his mind, who knows). So Shrink and other apps with rippers that haven't been updated have to rely on updated external rippers. Surprised you haven't seen info on this. The forum has been hot with it for the past few weeks.