1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder .. WTF?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by fugazi73, Nov 3, 2004.

1. fugazi73

fugazi73 Member

Hey gang-

First off, I apologize if this post is the wrong forum...

I've been using Shrink and Decrypter for awhile now with no major issues. Recently I've been messing around with DVD Rebuilder (learning about some of the other tools available to us) it's pretty self explanatory, but I'm trying to understand what are the major pros/cons vs. just using DVD Shrink solely? I've read a few threads on AD advising Rebuilder is by far better than Shrink..(I understand that a lot of this has to do with user preference)..

What I'm looking for with my DVD back-up's are i.) Video Quality ii.) Sound .. I'm sure you're all looking for the same output.. :)

Please help a bratha out and enlighten me with this dilemma of mine.. :) Thanks in advance ..

2. fugazi73

fugazi73 Member

Where's my boy Nephilim (he knows all)?!?! :) No replies, yet .. szit, come on fellas, I'm not asking for much .. :) Thx

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

fugazi73

Sometimes there are no definitive answers. Ask enough people and sometimes you'll hear that Shrink is the best and other times you'll hear the DVD Rebuilder is the best. The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tsu stated that seeing something once is better than hearing about it a thousand times. So I guess you'll just have to try them both and see which are the best to your eyes.

I use DVD Rebuilder and Cinema Craft Encoder for almost all my backups.:)

4. fugazi73

fugazi73 Member

Thanks Sophocles .. Yeah, I figured as much .. just wasn't sure if DVD Rebuilder was just all in all a better overall program to use for back ups -- taking out the obvious of what's best to ones 'own eyes' (that's a long debated answer/question, and has been, I'm sure, in previous AD posts).

Anywayz, good to know a AD veteran is using Rebuilder, that counts for something. :)

Have a good one .. l8

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

fugazi73

To my eyes DVD RB/CCE is considerably better.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

In general, DVD-RB (or any good CCE based solution) will give you higher quality than Shrink, although some people can't tell the difference between a Shrink backup and an original. For those people it's not worth the time or money to use anything else. There are also cases where you'll get better results from Shrink (or other transcoders) than by re-encoding. The only examples of this I've seen have been discs that already had encoding artifacts, but there are probably other special cases where it's true. As Sophocles says, however, it's best to compare them for yourself.

As far as sound goes, neither one will alter the sound, and both will remove unwanted audio streams, so I'd say they're even there.

7. davka

davka Member

Hi
    When I backup DVD movie which is less than 4.7GB using DVD Shrink, I don't need worry about quality loss, do I?
    Or even it fits on DVD5 by 100%, still I should consider to use DVD Rebuilder, if I want to get highest quality DVD?
    Can anyone give me some advise on this?

Thanks for advance.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

davka

When a file is as close to a type 5 as 4.7 and very little compression is needed it makes more sense to use a transcoder. RB/CCE isn't needed for files that approach the size of a DVD type 5 because no quality loss will be apparent. Using a transcoder such as DVD Shrink is better in such situations and it'll be faster.

9. davka

davka Member

Thank you Sophocles,

So if my source DVD is less that 4.7GB which means
    compression setting is 100% in DVD Shrink, then DVD Shrink just make a copy and there is no quality loss at all. am I understand right?

Could you give me some advices that how to compare DVD quality? Should I see it on big screen TV like a 30", 40"?
    Or, the higher the megabit per sec, the better the quality?

cheers
    Davka