1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink + other questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pnyklr3, Oct 22, 2004.

1. pnyklr3

pnyklr3 Member

Can DVD Shrink only be used with Nero? I have DVD X Copy Platinum, and just ran into some problems that I have noticed others having...I try to wrtie a disk, and the tray kicks out after about 15 seconds quoting an error message to check the log file. *sigh* This all happened after I did a system recovery (my browser was hijacked). I tried burning with Memorex disks (the burner wouldn't even recognize these or start the burn) and then picked up some ESA (new brand; could be store brand...I dunno). I was able to get one ESA to burn, then I am getting the error message. Do I have a software issue? Is my burner bad? Or is it just shoddy disks? (The very first disks I used were Sony...worked good) I didn't think the brand of DVD-R would matter.

2. regor

regor Regular member

Hi pnyklr3 - I highly suspect you need to re-install xcopy-platinum. I'd do that anyway given you did a system restore.

You are very wrong about the media... absolutely buy decent qualty media - there are a gazillion posts on what to/not to buy - Ritek seems?? to be the favored choice but there are many others that will do you fine. Do check the posts on dvd media.

To answer your initial question, dvd shrink can be used with Nero, decryptor (also free) and Copy2DVD.

Check out decryptor, it works well.

R
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]regor[/small]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

One additional note.
    Decrypter will only burn an ISO.
    The other two will burn files and ISO

4. pnyklr3

pnyklr3 Member

Thanks for the help so far...
    I have already reinstalled the XCopy Platinum. I also went out and bought quality media, and I still have the same problems. I'm wondering if my software is bad (but it worked before...so confused).

Ok. So now I'm going to sound like a complete idiot, but what exactly is an ISO. I read the definition in the glossary, and I'm still fuzzy. Can I burn an ISO to disk, and then have my DVD player read it? I have never heard this term used before (other than on this forum). I think I need "ISO for Dummies"!

Is there any freeware or shareware that would allow me to burn my DVDs instead of using XCopy (if that is what the problem is)? If I download the DVD Decryptor, do I still need Nero?

5. regor

regor Regular member

Hi there pnyklr3 - No question is dumb, unless I ask it :)

An ISO is simply an image, so instead of copying individual vobs and ifo's you use SW like decryptor to read the original dvd as an ISO image - selected via mode menu. Decryptor is pretty sweet in that it has the ability to read a dvd as an ISO image - it creates an image of the original dvd; then you can write the ISO back to a blank dvd. Decryptor has several modes for you to choose from i.e. ISO read/write as well as 'file' and 'ifo'... bear in mind though, the ISO can't exceed what you can write to a typical dvd ~4.3GB, so that's why you use SW like DVD Shrink to get the size via selection of content or compression ratio down to something you can fit on a 4.7GB dvd.

You very much need to check out the posted docs on decryptor and on shrink, it'll do you well.

Hope this has helped. R

6. pnyklr3

pnyklr3 Member

You know, I actually thought I was okay with computers until I came upon this!! I know more than my peers (educators who, unlike myself, are all close to retirement) and they come to me for answer!

Let me know if I have this right:
    1. I run DVD Decryptor, read the disk, and save it as an ISO.
    2. If the disk is too large (dual layerd, right?) then I run DVD Shrink.
    3. Then write the ISO onto the media.

The only way to get DVD Shrink to write is to have DVD Decryptor? *My brain is starting to hurt lol*
    Right now, the only option is to write with Nero. Thank you all for your help so far. It was much easier when X Copy just did it's job and WORKED!

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

pnyklr3- I found this in another thread for you. Should get you going. Good luck.

A ScubaPete Guide for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter :)

Let's go get one of your favorite DVD's and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen like an ice flow hitting the Mojave Desert and freezing the original, you'll have a backup of it -

Here we go, step by step - it can't fail, "Uncle" ScubaPete's can't miss "We're going ta burn a DVD backup right now, youngin's'" Guide to backing up :p).

First create a folder for your HD backup. . This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\All DVD Work\ Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management").

Next download DVD Decrypter and under Mode select "ISO", "Write". Un-tick the box that says "Verify". Where it says, "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

Here's the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300" and "4360MB" - we do this to make sure that we don't write too close to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK"

Here's the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD blank media, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Poor quality DVD blanks are responsible for a host of copying errors and hence, failures. Look for a thread dealing with backup media where we'll discuss DVD media in depth. But for now, PLEASE acquire some of the following. Recommended media for use with this Beginner's guide. Quality media would be Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", Ridata, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets.. - As I mentioned, we'll go into more on proper media in another thread.. This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We do want to use them because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? Kweel ! Alright then, let's open DVD Shrink and "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim some unnecessary items from your movie, you can "un-tick" some extra audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Cluster Mush OR Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments (also known as Outer Mongolian). This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and therefore providing you with a better quality picture.
    Today we're doing a "Full backup", that's everything on the original disc on your backup. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a "Full backup" as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top of your window. If you should see some "Red" on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, i.e. Klingon, Solarian Mush-mouth, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears. Actually you can "Un-tick" those things anyway, it'll lessen the compression on your backup. (a good thing :) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone.

It's now time to select Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup. If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, now click "OK." Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup, C:\All DVD Work\Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

Let's not use your PC for anything at all while it's working, we don't want to mess things up this late in the game.

When your PC burns DVD's, it requires 100% of your processor to do the job correctly. For now, let's allow your PC to work in peace.
    Ms. Computer will let you know when she's finished -

We're finished here, my work is done, enjoy your DVD backup.

Thank you for choosing a ScubaPete Guide.

8. pnyklr3

pnyklr3 Member

As a few of my students would put it: Boo Yah! (I think that would be the correct terminology. Personally, I like the Homer's good 'ol "Woo HOO!")
    I have burned a backup WITHOUT my flakey XCopy. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to regor and zippyd for all of your wonderful help. Honestly, my brain was begining to turn to mush from all of the thinking it was trying to do at once. You two are great!

~Jade

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Glad to hear you had success. Now comes the fun part. You get to share what you've learned and help other newbies if their question falls in your knowledge area. Learning and Sharing:It's part of what makes AfterDawn so great. Stick around and be an active supporter of the great community we have.