1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink overheating

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rialbk, Nov 22, 2004.

1. rialbk

rialbk Member

Hi, I am new but only to this website not to burning DVD's. I just replaced my LG 4081B because I got costers out of DVD-R discs and thought that it was the burner. However, now that the new burner is installed and the firm ware is correct, I am at a loss.

My computer overheats ONLY when I run DVD Shrink. I can play a disc and decrypt a disc but everytime a run that program it over heats.

I have Nero for burning and it works (no overheating)
    I have Core Centre to watch the temp and I have a MSI motherboard. Built the computer from scratch all new parts plus 1g of ram

I am at a loss, Can anyone help??????????????

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

DVD Shrink has been known to cause overheating for some systems. According to some discussions at this forum, it's because the program would use 100% of a PC's capacity while ripping. Although this has not happened to me before, I have also noticed that the program is straining my PC's resources more than other programs such as Nero. That's why I tend to use the Nero+DVD43 combination for DVD burning more myself. Maybe you should give this combination a try.

3. askyew

askyew Regular member

You should probably check your heat sink and fan installation. Download sis sandra and run the cpu burn in looping it to see if your processor overheats. What kind of processor do you have and what are the temps it is reaching? Are you using the stok heat sink and fan?

4. rialbk

rialbk Member

we have an intel p4 2.4ghz Msi motherboard and custom case w 3 fans also have a large heatsink and fan for the cpu, this system is less than a year old
    I only get this 57-60deg celcius heat when I run dvdshink it never goes above 50c otherwise

could this be linked to windows xp SP2?
    never had any problems until that got installed

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

I doubt it has anything to do with service pack 2. I have had service pack 2 since it came out and haven't had the first problem.

it is not getting cooled enough for some reason. my computer increases only by about 5 degrees C when I use shrink.

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If you are burning in PIO mode the loading on the CPU can be 100%. In DMA mode the loading on my cpu varies between 3-7%.
    Is DMA enabled in the bios?

7. askyew

askyew Regular member

That is warm, but it is not too hot for those power hungry P4's. If it is not locking up or causing strange problems then don't worry about it. The P4 has an on die thermistor that will throttle the cpu cycles if it gets too hot anyway. Did you use a thermal pad or a paste for the heat transfer on the cpu? I suggest artic silver for the thermal paste solution. Also the installation of the paste is very important as well. You want to cover the die while making sure that air is not trapped between the heatsink and cpu.