1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD SHRINK PLAYBACK PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by mral, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mral

mral Member

I'm having problems playing the dvds that I burned using dvd shrink and my burning software which is called sonic. The dvds plays fine on my computer's dvd player but when I try to play them on my regular dvd player the picture starts to break up at the end of the movie. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

I'm also using Sony DVD-R 16X as my blank media. Would changing it to Double layer DVD-R or DVD+R help?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

you may get over the jump by making your output project smaller, so as not to burn to outer edge of dvdr... 4300meg

also burn at 6x

also use some nice verbatims or TY

3. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

IMHO you'd be better off ridding yourself of Sonic and getting ImgBurn as your burning engine.

4. Hitman32

Hitman32 Guest

Agreed

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

^ im in ^

6. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Or you could read some of the hundreds of other posts about second rate media and marginal software. Or perhaps a guide or two http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/?

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Sonic is a second rate program dump it for imgburn

8. Mez

Mez Active member

ImgBurn was written with burning videos in mind. Your media is OK (could be better but is way better than most). Burn at the slowest setting if you are having problems. If that does not work. Look into FixVTS. It is well documented in this forum.

A quick list of things that hurt playback.
    Media quality
    source quality which usually means surface defects
    the speed of the burn
    quality of the burner
    quality of the player
    Any improvement in the above will help playback

FixVTS will fix small errors in the initial read. It that does not help you can try grinding the disk.

Since your burner had no probelms reading the disk your problems are small and burning at a smapper speed should do the trick. You will note ImgBurn allows you to burn at a snails pace if you want to. Inferior packages like Nero will not let you burn slow if you need to.

9. mral

mral Member

thanks guys. using ImgBurn has really helped me out but the only problem i have with ImgBurn is that it seems like the movies i burn with it have had lesser picture quality. any ideas?

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

it wouldn't be imgburn causing the problem

you are probably compressing the file to much with dvd shrink causing poor picture quality.a few things you can do

use deep analysis in dvd shrink
    do the movie only cutting out the extra/previews etc.
    use a dual layer blank for large files
    use DVD Rebuilder to encode the file instead of dvd shrink for perfect quality.

also make sure your using good quality media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burn at 6x to 8x max

11. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Imgburn, best burning engine out there, IMHO, free too.

12. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Post a log please....Help ->Imgburn logs

13. tripplite

tripplite Guest

what kind of dvd player do you have? even though most dvd players claim to have flawless +r/-r playback they dont:(
    in my older dvd player which should support +r/-r it wont even start the disc's unless the booktype is in DVD-ROM......

-tripplite

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Someone mentioned FixVts...I doubt it can do anything in this case. It is not a structure/navigation problem...Like everyone said, if you wanna strtch it to the outer limits, get better discs...but maybe your burner can't handle....
    Just shrink thee next project by a couple dozen MB....

15. mral

mral Member

no i don't think i have compressed the file too much with dvd shrink because when i use a different burning software the movie has a much better picture quality. its just that the picture starts to break up near the end of the movie and this is why i started using imgburn. i also burn at 8x max with sony. is it possible that if i burn at a slower speed the picture will be a little better?

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

try burning at 6x and set your target in dvd shrink a bit smaller not burning right to the edge of the blank dvd as cyprusrom said

17. Mez

Mez Active member

mral, did you get enough advice?

About the quality, Shrink compresses in a lossy format. It is possible you can tell the difference with a large HD TV. Is it resolution, the little boxes, skips or somtheing else. Low quality is too vauge a complaint. The only way to improve the resolution is compress less. Only 'do' the main movie. If that isn't enough you need to go to double layer. My HD TV is not big enough for be to see any loss of resolution. The boxes and skips can be reduced eliminated by FixVTS and burning slower with a good burner using good media. Getting a player with a good laser will also help BIG TIME. I have a little Lite-On player/recorder that I got for $75. I can read and use reject media I can't use for anything else except backing up computer data. It is a cheap TIVO except the stored footage is on a DVD instead of a hard drive.

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Someone must really like FixVts(maybe the name!!)...like I said before,the problem in this thread has nothing to do with structure/navigation problems. FixVts won't eliminate your pixelation!!!it will help you in instances when you can't open the DVD in your authoring software.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  19. mral

mral Member

the movie's colors seems faded and the picture is less sharp. sort of like seeing things through the eyes of someone who is nearsighted.

20. Mez

Mez Active member

You are seeing something I have never seen. Now, maybe you have a large HD TV or maybe you are seeing something very unusual. Although I am somewhat technical most of what I know is from experiance. I have seen both skips and boxes dissapear from using FixVTS on the ripped files then burning at half the normal slow burn speed. Maybe the boxes are caused by a bad spot in the media. FixVTS fixes skips the slower burn speed may help with the boxes. The box problem is very rare for me it is way less than 1%. I know I could alway get a good copy without re-ripping.

I have heard of a color problem but that was years ago so I can't remember if or what the resolution was. The bigger question is does this happen all the time? I can guess that the solution will probably be very technical and outside the normal bag of tricks we all use. What we use is actually very limited but effective.

I have never seen this however, I will not say it doesn't do this. The software repairs weak links between frames. Skips are caused by weak links. I have often seen very skippy master produce flawless copies using FixVTS.