1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lennon112, Dec 31, 2004.

1. lennon112

lennon112 Member

Okay, I am relatively new at this so please bare with me. I am using DVD Shrink to burn back ups onto DVD-R's. Everything is fine except usually near the end of the film it starts skipping for no reason at all. Then right before the finale it usually corrects itself.

This has been the case with every dvd I have burned. It only does this on my DVD player but works perfectly with the dvd in my computer. Does anyone know what I should do to stop this? I dont have any labels on the cds so I know its not that, and I have watched burned films on these types of blank dvd's before so they work. Is there some other software that should be better?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Nothing wrong with the software. It sounds like your media. I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro or Dvd Identifier. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for DVD media:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes :>)

3. colw

colw Active member

Skipping is normally indicative of poor quality media or attempting to burn too fast.

What brand of media are you using?

Ritek and Verbatim are normally recommended by many members of these forums.

It is not uncommon for burnt DVD's to play fine on your computer and have problems playing on a standalone.

Standalones tend to be more finicky with burnt media and sometimes experiementation is required to find compatible media.

4. colw

colw Active member

bigorange

Beat me by a whisker - great minds think alike.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, 1st time I've ever been told I had a mind at all, much less great! ;>)

6. lennon112

lennon112 Member

The brand of media I am using is Memorex. When i run out of these I will get something better. But for now, I was told by a friend who was having the same problem that if I use DVD shrink to compress the files then use my Nero to burn the files it will work. Does that sound right?

Thanks

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I would've bet a dollar to a penny that you were using Memorex. It is notorious for freezing, skipping, etc. Another problem with it is it may work now but a year from now start skipping, freezing or not even playing at all.

Just because you friend's Memorex worked doesn't mean squat. Memorex farms out their media, one batch may work while another won't even tho it's the same brand.

Yes shrink burns fine with Nero, I was under the impression that you knew how to do that, ie-use shrink. If you'd like here is a quickie shrink guide I wrote that shows how to use shrink and auto burn with Nero or decrypter and never have to open any app but shrink.

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40

8. lennon112

lennon112 Member

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. This is definatly the last batch of Memorex I will be using. Yeah this is my first time with any of this and I am still trying to get the swing of things.

But for some reason I have run into another problem that I wanted to ask you about. Okay I have shrunk the dvd with DVD Shrink and now I am trying to burn with Nero. When I go to Add Video Files to load of the files I want burned it says there is not enough room on the disk when it says there are 4.38 GB of space avalible and the files are only 4.35 Any ideas on what I should do?

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You are right at the limit. Why don't you set shrink to auto burn with nero instead of opening it seperately and trying to add files. It's much easier and then You won't have a problem. You can also set your file size by going to edit>preferences>drop down menu to custom > and type in your file size. I prefer 4300 to ensure an edge at the rim of the disc(because of handling) and to make sure there is plenty of room.

10. lennon112

lennon112 Member

The reason I cant just burn within dvd shrink is because this poor media I have causes the film to start skipping near the end of the film. However, I found that if I shrink with DVD Shrink then get out of that program and burn with Nero only the film works.

When I am done with this batch of Memorex I will buy something better. Then I can use DVD Shrink to both rip and burn. Well thanks for all your help!