1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink slows to a crawl...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by siskiou, Apr 9, 2007.

1. siskiou

siskiou Member

and eventually freezes when I try and save the output via wireless connection (54.0 Mbps)to an external hard drive connected to our desktop.

The burner (External LG GSA-E10L)performs fine if I save to my own hard drive.
    I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to computers and was hoping to find out if this behavior is to be expected or if I could make things work somehow by changing settings or getting a different model.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sounds like you need to be in hardware instead of the Shrink forum. If everything is working okay with one hard drive and not the other, it's obvious the problem isn't Shrink.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum. OI'm not fully following your problem/PC setup. Do you have 2 different PC's that you're transferring files between ?.

I have loads of PC's on wireless though i find by far the easiest way to transfer movie files between machines is to use cheap/small laptop hard drives in USB2.0 enclosures, they're just like huge capacity USB sticks. Far more convenient than messing about with networking in my opinion.

4. siskiou

siskiou Member

Thanks for the teleporting!
    The set-up is as follows:
    laptop connected to desktop via wireless.
    External hard drive is connected to desktop via usb.
    External dvd burner connected to laptop via usb.

Since the laptop hard drive isn't that large, I'd prefer to rip dvd content to the external hard drive connected to the desktop, but that's when dvdshrink crawls to a halt (starts out at fine speed for about 1-6% of the process, and then gets significantly slower and slower and finally stops altogether).
    It works fine if I save to the laptop hard drive.

5. creaky

any reason you don't just connect the external hard drive AND the external burner to the one machine during movie ripping duties - as opposed to adding wireless to the equation ?.
    In my house i'm like one of the old fashioned telephone switchboard operators as i often get confused as to what USB devices are connected to what but it's a great way to move files around :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  6. siskiou

siskiou Member

Yes,

my husband uses the desktop extensively and doesn't want it slowed down by other tasks. :)

7. creaky

ok, i think i'm catching you up. I've just drawn a diagram so what i think you're saying is you do the DVD ripping on your own laptop via wireless to hubbie's desktop internal hard drive oe his external hard drive? ..as your laptop hard drive isn't big enough to house the files. But i presume the laptop's CPU is powerful enough to do the ripping ??...

...so if that's the case can't you either just steal hubbie's external hard drive for your laptop (even temporarily) or just buy a cheap USB2.0 enclosure to add to your laptop (could be a cute enclosure for laptop drives, i've got loads of them, they're very portable, or a standard 3.5" enclosure for standard desktop hard drives) - all of which are very cheap indeed... ??..i suggest this as it removes the need for you to rely on hubbie's internal or external hard drives...

Another option would be to buy a (cheap) larger hard drive to replace the hard drive that's in the laptop. I've got 3 laptops (6 if i count all the swaparounds of parts i've done lately) and i've (cheaply) made all sorts of swaparounds of hard drives so no hard drives get wasted as the smaller ones go into USB2.0 enclosures and live out their days as glorified USB sticks

8. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

creaky
    what size of hd do you keep in the enclosures?

9. creaky

hey there, long time no see.
    cor, you've asked me know, trying to think...

laptop enclosures (used as USB 'sticks') -
    one's a 40gb (obviously this one's great), a few 6gb ones..
    (i upgraded some of the original internal 6gb laptop drives to 80gb so the 6giggers went into enclosures).

desktop enclosures (used as USB 'sticks') -
    a few 20gb ones. rarely use these anymore as they're too big to cart around the room.

desktop enclosures (used for MP3 storage/my music collection that i play all my music from as i hate looking for cd's) -
    2x 250gb drives (exact copies of each other so i have a backup of everything).

i think that's it. basically USB2.0 enclosures (i've built all my own as i don't like proprietry pre-built (either hard drive or optical) enclosures)) are fantastic things and make life so much easier..

10. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

can say the same to you lol
    did you enjoy you vac from ad?
    is it even worth putting 6g in the enclosure? thats small no? the reason i asked was i have an old hd was wonder what to do with it.
    was think of installing in the other pc i have.or your option now.it think its 30 or 40g

11. creaky

i'd just been on a vacation from virtually everywhere (online and the real world) :)

yep, 6gb are still worthwhile, as i say i use one or two of them as glorified usb sticks, admittedly a couple of the 6gb enclosures are just sat there but it basically beats networking all my machines together, wireless or wired, as not all machines are on all the time..

..hence why i'm suggesting these options for this thread,..

12. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

CREAKY
    dam cap lock at work! what do i need to use it outside pc?
    do you have a link or pic to show how to hook it up for us newbies....
    lol. thanks as alway

13. siskiou

siskiou Member

Yes, definitely! AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor, 1.256GB RAM.

I guess I could add an external HD to the laptop eventually.

So, I guess my main question was: does sending the ripped file via wireless cause things to go awry?
    That's a "yes", I assume?
    Or should I be able to do this with different wireless equipment?
    Currently we have a mini home network, through the wireless capabilities of the Actiontec dsl modem.

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

I'd just use the desktop to do it all i mean it owuldnt take more then 4hours to do would that do so much harm to him?

15. creaky

very nice!

- i don't know why you're having problems with the wireless bit, as i stopped networking all my PC's when i went wireless, hence never bothered to setup that side of things

16. steimy

steimy Active member

have you tried using DVD Shrink to rip the movie or whatever to the laptop hard drive, then just wirelessly transfer it over the network to the external har drive? Just to see if the slow down was due to trying to transfer over your network.
    You can do it wireless or just spend some money and buy an 8GB USB flashdrive, put it from hard drive of laptop to that, then stick that in th PC and transfer to the external hard drive of the PC.

I have ripped a few things wirelessly, but not with DVD Shrink. I usually use FTP programs for what i am doing.

17. siskiou

siskiou Member

Yes, I have and it works just fine when I save to (or burn from) my own harddrive.
    I'm not great on megabits/megabytes vs. kilobytes, and am not sure if the wireless connection just can't keep up with the speed of dvdshrink.

Maybe I should try connecting the two computer via firewire.

Or maybe I just have to make it a point to burn everything immediately so my harddrive doesn't get filled up! ;)

Any advice how to get something like that set up?