1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink vs DVD Decrypter + Nero Recode

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DGenerate, Oct 14, 2004.

1. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Is there any reason why one might use DVD Shrink to compress rather than Recode? Does DVD Shrink do anything that Recode doesn't, or create better quality films or anything?

I notice a lot of people use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter [bold]and[/bold] DVD Shrink. I've been playing around with DVD Decrypter (haven't burned anything yet!) and it seems quite good. I'd like to keep my system as simple as possible, and I've already got Nero 6, I'd rather use Recode if it's just as good as (if not better than) DVD Shrink.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

IMO it's just preference. I haven't use Recode in awhile, but is a good program.

I believe the creator of Shrink is now part of the Nero team.

And I agree with keeping your system simple, but I don't think have in Shrink, Decrypter and Nero would hurt any :)

3. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Oh thank God! I thought no one was going to reply ;-)

In the meantime, I've been reading the forums...I saw a message that said something along the lines that Recode lets you keep the menus, implying that Shrink did not...did I get that right?

And of course, in real terms, having another tiny program wouldn't hurt...but it's a new computer and I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about having a clean system :-D

Cheers!

4. flip218

The new Shrink now allows you to re-author and keep a working menu. You can either select still image or still picture to replace the extras.

You really want to keep it clean? Do a clean install every 3-4 months :)

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Have a registry cleaner and know how to use it. Use spybot, adaware, spysweeper, have a good anti-virus and firewall. Do regular cleanup with Disk Cleanup and run Defragmenter occasionally. Lot's of things for maintaining that clean system.

On the part about movie only with menu in Shrink, the compression setting used to eliminate a file is still image. Still picture, if I remember correctly gives a feed similar to a slide show. Hope I didn't forget and get that backwards. I have the Nero suite minus the InCD portion. In fact I'm running the new 6.6 which is a demoversion of the upcoming facelift and upgrade for Nero. Nero, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are all keepers if you intend to be a serious user of DVD recording software. I have those and several more.

Besides being a good recording app, Shrink is a good test utility when one is familiar with it. It works as a good decrypter and rips to the HD similar to DVD Decrypter. It is great for a quick look at file size and structure. Also, it does a good quick check for read errors. Just think of all that in a free app. You don't get that much with a lot of retail items.

Decrypter is one of the best decrypters of its type as well as being able to do burns. I use it as a ripper and seldom as a burner. The Nero suite is my choice there. I use Express with apps like RB/CCE. With Nero's many abilities, it is a keeper besides just having Recode2 and the burning ROM.

Hey Flip, thought I'd drop in and see what's happening. Top of the morning to you.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  6. flip218

lol ... Hello Brobear, It's only 9:56pm where I am :)

7. brobear

brobear Guest

East and West. About 1 AM here. I'll just send the mornin on your way. lol

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]The new Shrink now allows you to re-author and keep a working menu. You can either select still image or still picture to replace the extras.[/bold]

Actually flip you're almost right!(big grin)

DGenerate,

Shrink does now allow you to now substitute still image for an extra or extras and retain menu function, this only came about with the new 3.2 version while Recode has always been able to do so.

This can only be done under full disc option and with editing, if you use re-author, that is drag only the files you wish to keep from the right side to the left side, you will lose menu function.

Shrink 3.2 and Nero recode are extremely close in nature and work almost exactly the same. However with recode you get a slew of other useful audio and video programs in the Nero Ultra 6 suite and shrink is only a DVD backup program.

It is good to have both and shrink is free. There is a benefit to having more than one way to backup dvd's.

Not all DVD's are the same and situations require different apps. What won't work with one will work with others. I actually have 5 main apps that I use depending on the conditions and many a time if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to back it up or at least not back it up with optimum results.

Sooo, get shrink, decrypter and Nero, keep all three, you won't regret it. Heck, two of them are free anyway.:>)

Hey flip, just givin' ya a little grief, good to see ya buddy. ;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  9. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Thanks a lot you guys.

flip218:
    On my old computer, I was quite happy to do so. But it's taken me so long to get everything set just right, I don't think I have it in me to do a fresh install that frequently.

brobear:

Thanks, I'm quite handy with maintaining my computer...it's DVD burning I'm new to! :)

flip218, brobear and bigorange:

Just to be clear, is it safe to say that in terms of encoding quality, Shrink and Recode are the same? Are either of them faster than the other, in general?

I have downloaded Shrink, just not installed it yet...I'll have it if I need it.

Again, thanks you guys. I don't know if this is kosher (if not, I'll edit), but do you think you could help me out on this one, too?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/116329

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

you're helped ;>)

11. brobear

brobear Guest

DGenerate
    Try both. Shrink is free and Nero is a 30 day trial with unlimited downloads. Shrink uses Nero as it's default burner. DVD Decrypter only burns ISO files. So you would be stuck with the ISO format if you take the free Decrypter route only as the burner. Nero has more options. So, the combination of Shrink and Nero makes good sense.

Recode 2 is part of the Ultra Pack, so it is a no brainer to upgrade to own that app. If I had to own only one program, I would go with Nero Ultra because of all the things the suite does well. Sometimes these programs are just a matter of personal preference. So, my advice is to read the manuals and do a good test of both and make your own informed decision. The best bet is to keep both.

12. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Thanks brobear.

As it goes, I already have Nero 6 Ultra. I've done 5 DVDs so far using Decrypter/Recode and - despite Nero insisting on ejecting the disc after burning, even though I've checked the "Do Not Eject After Burning" box! - I'm pleased with the results...thanks to you guys' replies, I'm comfortable that I don't really need to use Shrink for now, though I've got it handy 'just in case' :)

Cheers!

13. nueburner

nueburner Member

I was wondering about a programe called dvd-cloner I bought about two weeks ago. Do i need a shrink program with it to fit movies on one disk? I'm new to all this and most the movies I've backed p sofar have gliches in them. Is this normal? Is there anyway to make a glich free movie? I check the box that says movie only.In just dont get it.Also are the movies staying on my computer? I've done cheks for them but dont really know what to look for. Any inf s greatly app. thanks

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

nueburner,

I have never used the app, but in order to insure the files aren't staying on your computer, create a folder before you run the app. Put it where you can find it, like your desktop. Name it something like cloner temp files. After you run the app, browse to that folder for it's temp files. When finished, just open it and delete the files.

There should be a location for the folder in the program when you run it. It will usually say temp files. You can browse to it or you use your search function.

Most programs have an option of deleting files after it runs option, or will do it automatically or the next time you use the folder with that app.

Since I've never used the app, I don't know but movie only option is just that, movie only, no menu or extras. And none of my backups have glitches(that's about 25-30 apps), without knowing more there are too many varibles to say why yours do :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  15. katmack

katmack Member

Hi,
    I used to use dvd43 and IcopyDVDs2. Just got a new Lite-On and it came with a Nero disk that includes Nero Express 6 and I downloaded Shrink DVD. I use the Shrink to copy the dvd to my hard drive but every time I try to use Nero Express 6 it takes me to the point where I'm supposed to click on BURN and it is grayed out. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

katmack

You're definitely missing a step somewhere. But, in the meantime, since you're using shrink just set it to auto burn with nero and you don't even have to open it.

To do this click on edit > preferences > File I/O > check enable burn with nero.

Also, set your target in the window that pops up after you hit "backup" to your burner, that's it.

if you wish to find out what you're doing wrong in express i'll need your step by step process :>)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  17. katmack

katmack Member

Well I'm not sure exactly what I did but it is working now. I made sure Nero was checked. I dragged the file from my hard drive over and when I hit "next" the burn button was ready to go. So far so good. Now my only problem seems to be I have a bunch of Samsung blank dvd's that don't seem compatible. They are -R and only 1X. Maybe that's the problem. Thanks for your help tho!

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Oh Lord! Get rid of them. Media is HUGE in DVD backup. It's not just a matter of quality, it's a matter of workable backups that'll last! Also I never burn over 4x.

Get Ritek G04 or 05 4x(or 8x) -R or Ritek Ridata 4x +R, make sure they are BRANDED. You can get 'em here w/free shipping under .50 each :>)

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004