1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Shrink w/ Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Adouble11, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

I read that people haven't had any problems with using dvd shrink while running decrypter along with itwhen trying to copy dvd's. How do you run two softwares at once?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not done much dvd copying then? you dont run them at the same time! use dvd decrypter to rip and dvd shrink to shrink it! you output the files from DS back to DD to burn.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

For some easy to understand guides for DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, check out this link http://www.dvdshrink.info . Virtual guides that lead you through the process with pictures of the Shrink and Decrypter windows. Once you get the hang of working the programs, check out the more comprehensive guides at http://www.doom9.org .

4. Adouble11

Adouble11 Regular member

No, I haven't burned very much I'm just starting. The guides for dvd dycrypter don't really explain it to good for me to understand. People say how easy and good it works but I can't figure out how to use it with dvd shrink.

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

=======DVD-5 -> DVD±R, Single layer DVD discs only (*Inc PS2*)=========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-5 / PS2 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-5 / PS2 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

Note: You NEED a chipped PS2 to play these disks. Try http://www.gameworlddirect.co.uk or http://www.modchip.com

-------------------------------------------

========DVD-9 -> DVD±R, using only free software========

This is one good path to follow if you don't have any DVD software utilities at all.

Updated: 8th August 2004 (based on hembo's guide)
    Scope of this guide: To copy any DVD9 to one DVD±R(W) with all the contents or the 'main movie' only.
    Hard disc space needed: 20 Gbyte when backing up a movie on 1 DVD9.

Tools used:
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0
    DVD Shink 3.2 (note: if your drive is not NTFS you must use 3.2 or later)
    Download and install both of the above.
    Setting up DVD Shrink:
    Click on the Edit menu and then on Preferences...
    In the DVD Shrink Preferences window which opens, click on the File I/O tab
    As this guide only uses freeware, make sure that the Enable burning with Nero option is UNCHECKED

[​IMG]

Click the OK button

Ripping:
    Start DVD Decrypter
    Ensure you're in 'File' mode by pressing the 'F' key or selecting it via the 'Mode' option in the menu at the top
    If, for some reason, all files are not selected, press <Ctrl-A> to select ALL the files
    Make a note of the destination folder, for example 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS'

[​IMG]

Click the [DVD-image] button to start DVD Decrypter, this will take anything from 10 minutes and up, depending on your computer and DVD drive speed

[​IMG]

When it is finished, close DVD Decrypter

Re-authoring / Shrinking:
    Start DVD Shrink
    Click the [OPEN FILES] button on the main toolbar
    Navigate to C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS and click [Ok], this will take a few minutes while DVD shrink analyzes the DVD.

[​IMG]

When the analysis has finished, you will see the entire structure of the decrypted DVD files.

Jump to step 16 to backup the entire DVD, (like an episodic or series DVD like Friends or Simpsons), instead of just the 'main movie', and then adjust the compression for the extras and menus in order to leave more room for the main title.

Click the [RE-AUTHOR] button on the main toolbar and the DVD Browser tab should be active; if not, click on it
    Click and hold on 'Title 1' and drag it to the left-hand pane, under DVD

[​IMG]

If your movie is greater than 4.35GB then the movie is automatically compressed as you can see if you click on the 'Compression Settings' tab. Here you can deselect audio tracks and subtitles you don't want in order to minimize the compression of the video.

[​IMG]

Insert a blank DVD±R(W) into your DVD-burner
    Click the [BACKUP] button on the main toolbar
    Select ISO Image file and burn with DVD Decrypter as your target device

[​IMG]

Select an appropriate target file/folder for DVD Shrink to output to, for example 'C:\NEW_DVD.ISO'
    If your movie is greater than 4.35GB, then you can CHECK the 'Perform deep analysis' option on the Quality Settings tab to enhance the video quality. If it's not, there's no need to compress and you can't select that option.

[​IMG]

Click [OK]. If your movie is greater than 4.35GB it will take about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the length of the movie, and the complexity of the mpeg. Otherwise it will only take a few minutes.
    Once DVD Shrink has finished reauthoring and/or compressing, DVD Decrypter will automatically launch and burn the image to DVD without any user intervention
    When you have checked and are happy with the new DVD, you can delete the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD' folder, the 'C:\NEW_DVD' folder (if it exists) and the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD.ISO' file

========DVD-9 -> DVD+R DL, Double layer to Double layer! (1:1)==========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

USE THE .MDS FILE IT CONTAINS THE LAYER BREAK INFO FOR BURNING!

Note: If your drive supports booktype / bit setting, remember to tell it to burn DVD+R DL discs as DVDROM. This will make them more compatible with players. The booktype / bit setting utility is accessed by clicking on the little 'book' icon when in ISO Write mode.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Just to clue you in so you'll know what you're supposed to be doing, the following should give you some idea of the process.
    Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know. (DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink also work with the higher capacity dual layer burners and media.)

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

For some easy to understand guides check out http://www.dvdshrink.info . There are plenty of pictures and they're virtual guides that are easy to follow. When you understand how to get going, the comprehensive guides at http://www.doom9.org will be useful to learn the more in depth operation of the programs.

8. tarisea

tarisea Member

Please help. I have been using DVD Shrink and Decripter for a while now all of a sudden every time I trying to use Shrink I get: DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "E:\" Data Error (cyclic redundancy check" I am running Shrink 3.2. This happens when I first open the disk. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software and I am still getting it in the exact same spot each time. Please help. Thank you.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@tarisea,
    this sounds like a bad disk? Is it only happening with one DVD or is it several?
    -Try cleaning the disk
    -Try ripping to your HD with Decrypter
    -Try a different copy

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Tarisea: [bold]E:\" Data Error (cyclic redundancy check"[/bold]

Usually this means dirty/damaged/or a burn disc. Try cleaning it.It may be a big fat fingerprint.Or get a disc repair kit.

Now on some of the newer encryptions: Resident evel 2 and The Grudge,come to mind. These newer encryptions are giving us those crc errors. We can use dvd decrypters newest version or download anydvd by slysoft. Anydvd runs in the background to help pull off these newer sony arcos encryptions.It has a free 21 day trial.

Which movie is giving you this problem? Is it an original dvd or a backup copy?

11. tarisea

tarisea Member

It is happening with every disk I put in. And it is happening with decrypter as well as shrink

12. tarisea

tarisea Member

i take it back it is only happening with some disks. I don't understand.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The discs that it happens to, are they original dvd's or backup copies that you are trying to re-rip?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Update Decrypter to the newest version and try ripping the disks to your HD with that.

What are the names of the movies you are having problems with?

Could be your lens of the DVDRW or ROM are dirty. Try cleaning the lens. A little compressed air works :)

You could also give AnyDVD a try..

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Don't know if you're aware of what's happening with the CRC (cyclic redundancy error) or not. That's just a fancy way of saying the PC has kept trying to read a file and couldn't, so it just quit and gave you an error named CRC. You have been informed of causes. It can be hardware, software, or media related. Most often it's a source problem. With older equipment or optical drives in a smoky environment, the drive heads can come into play as a problem. I'm getting back into what's already been covered...

You stated it was only with some discs. Makes one wonder about the discs you're trying to copy. Are they originals in good condition? As pointed out, scratched and or smudged discs cause the error. Polish the disc with a clean, soft cloth. Old "T"s work well for the purpose. Resurfacing with a tool like Skip Dr can help with scratched media. With read/write errors caused by a flaw in the disc, you need a new copy of the DVD.

If it's the nasty new encryptions, you never informed us of what movies, Saugmon and BBmayo gave you good advice. I've inserted the links so often, I'll make it easy for you. Free DVD Decrypter, current version 3.5.4.0 (they just keep doing those updates), http://www.dvddecrypter.com . AnyDVD, http://www.slysoft.com . If you're not familiar with AnyDVD, just read the product description at Slysoft. If any of those movies happen to be The Grudge and The Forgotten, I might say to use Shrink with AnyDVD running to rip to the hard drive. Shrink set to no compression with AnyDVD makes a good ripper and sometimes corrects structural problems caused by encryption in the process.

I may have repeated much of what Saugmon and BB posted, but I did add the links. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005