1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink without NERO

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mayaboy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Actually, it is appreciated. :)

2. asap

asap Member

Scuba Pete,

Thanks for a great, succint, and successful rendition of how this works. I have created at least one non-coaster(worked great in my player)and just burned another, as yet unviewed. I am an absolute newbie and am grateful to have found this site.

3. megamix

megamix Member

As a newbie to forums, I'm looking for advice.
    Being an Englishman living on a Spanish island, I'm having trouble with an LG DVD ReWriter that I've just had installed. The shops technician installed the drive and upgraded my Nero 6 to Nero 6 Ultra Edition (v.6.3.0.0). I had downloaded a trial version of Clone DVD 2.5 and also a full version of DVD Professional. With Clone DVD the drive wouldn't even recognise an original DVD as being in the tray, but with DVD Pro (which contains DVD DeCrypter), whenever it tried to write the files to a blank disc, Nero rejects the disc as not blank?! I returned to the technician with a friend who speaks Spanish, and was told everything was correct, but Clone DVD will not work with Nero. (This I found rather strange as the info on the net says it does.) The technico suggested DVD Shrink and all would be fine.
    I took his advice (the same advice as Scuba Pete's) and obtained the latest version and that of DVD DeCrypter, however, when it tries to write in the latter program, I get an I/O Error. In SPTI-Microsoft mode, which was set as default, it lists the device then SCSI Status: 0x02, Interpretation: Check Condition, then CDB:followed by some numbers, Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors:0-31, then Sense Area:followed by lots of numbers, Interpretation: Invalid address for write. Does anyone know what this means?
    If I use Nero as the burning engine from DVD Shrink, I still get the same problem that Nero's Disc Information reads a blank empty disc, but when I press burn, it rejects the disc as 'not empty'. Do you think there's a problem with the drive or how it has been set up by the technician?
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Mike, Welcome to A/D,

It sounds like it's your media. Poor quality can do what you're experiencing :(

Even though your drive ie new it probably needs a Firmware "Flash" upgrade. Firmware is like a "tutor" for your drive telling it how and to what to burn. Mrgrs "tweek" their products all the time and gthey do it with Firmware.

As for writting to your burner, you shouldn't require an ASPI layer as Nero has one and it should now be on your PC. Here are a couple of links for straightening out your firmware -

Here's the Firmware Page:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

The Firmware is our burner's tutor, keeping our DVD burner "tweeked". It makes sure our burner can "speak" to as many different mfgrs of media as fast and precise as possible - We're always looking for the most recent upgrade -

To check on our firmware we'll need a little "tool" which we can get from here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

Between decent discs and the above you should be fine –

Cheers,

Pete

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there asap, welcome to aD,

Hey, I'm glad you're burning up a storm :)

Even though you just got here, consider this a welcoming in and, don't part hastily comment -

Stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're Welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre) Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)

Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

See ya,

Pete :p)

6. megamix

megamix Member

Many thanks Pete. I've located the firmware check tool and also a slightly later firmware for my LG GSA-4082B drive. I had version A207 installed, but now there's an A208. As for the media, it was the only ones they had in the little shop here. Sky brand. Never heard of them. As the burning process has knackered 5 of these so far, I'm a little reluctent to try an expensive one. I'm less than happy with my purchase at the moment, so if it knackered an expensive disc I'm not quite sure how I'd react.
    I'll let you know how I get on. How I wish I could converse with the technician at the shop in Spanish!! One day I'll learn, but at my age it takes some doing!
    Thanks again,
    Mike

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

megamix,

That's why God invented Internet shopping - in your case, it would be a lifesaver -

Cheers,

Pete

8. joeymac

joeymac Member

Hi Pete and other members

I was interested to read your earlier comments about using the read & write drives - your learn something every day - well I do! I was also interested to see you using the 'many brains' idea, I use the same type of comparison when teaching my students. I ask them 'how many technicians do you think Mr. Gates employed to write the Windows '98 software - 1, 5, 500, 5000, 25,000 etc. and how long would it take each group to complete the task?'
    Anyway, enough of my ramblings

P.S. You dont facny coming to Scotland to teach, good teacher are now hard to find!

'Best is the enemy of better'

Kindest regards

Joeymac

9. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi megamix,

here's a link to the main supplier of Ritek in Europe, I hope it's of some use.

http://www.dvd-and-media.com/

regards.

gringle/mike
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]give instuction to a wise man. Then he will become wiser, give instruction to a fool. Then he will become wiser. It's all about time.. [thet slanty-eyed bloke I used to read][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey Pete, in my house internet shopping is a curse! I can't resist a good software, they see me coming a mile away, but what's worse? My wife has now discovered the internet is the world's largest mall, woe is me. lol ;>)

11. megamix

megamix Member

A big thanks to all, especially ScubaPete. I went back with my spanish speaking friend to the technico who tried the system for us. He used a Phillips DVD+RW with no problem, so I got him to try one of the discs that had been supplied with the drive, a Sky DVD+R, which are the only brand stocked by the shop. He had the same problem as I had been getting!!! As I now know the drive works ok, I've found another shop that stocks Verbatim DataLifePlus with Advanced AZO (at the same price as the Sky ones). Guess where I'll get my blanks (and anything else I need) in future?!!!
    As for shopping on the Internet, I've been trying to keep that quiet in case my wife finds out, but if anyone knows where I can buy these blanks cheaper or even a video capture card, I'd be most grateful.
    Thanks once again, your help has saved me pulling out what remains of my hair.
    Mike

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

megamix, over here in the States a lot of us use Meritline, it has free shipping, in Europe, Newegg is a good company.

Both sell Ritek -R 4x or ridata +R 4x, two excellent choices btw(400 burns and only one bad disc for me). You can get them for under .45 each w/free shipping, proving great media doesn't necessarily mean expensive media.

They play in all modern standalone DVD players and never cause skipping, pausing, etc.-all the stuff bad media can cause, not to mention coasters where the burn failed completely.

Hint, I also keep some RW's on hand to experiment with, new software, methods, etc. to cut down on coasters, both the aforementioned brands work well for that also. good luck.....:>)

13. megamix

megamix Member

Thanks to Bigorange and Gringle for their advice regarding internet sites to order DVDRs. I've checked out both sites and was staggered to see the prices!!!! I've just paid €1.95 each for Verbatim, which is about £1.40. I'm not sure what the delivery charge for Data-and-Media to the Canary Islands would be, but at Meritline, their shipping charge to Spain is a minimum of $47.25. I think I'll get friends to buy them in England and bring them out when they visit. If anyone is visiting Lanzarote from the States, let me know.
    It looks like this is another drawback to living on a tiny Spanish island in the Atlantic. Mind you, still not a big enough one to entice me back to the cold and wet of dear old England.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'm picking up what you're laying down,LOL. BTW, would Newegg's shipping be any cheaper? :>)

15. megamix

megamix Member

Hi BigOrange, just checked Newegg.com but they currently only ship within US and Puerto Rico. Never mind, I'll keep looking around the net, but like you, I'd better not let the wife know too much in case she goes wild with the plastic!

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, gotcha! LOL ;>)

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there joeymac,

I spent the last 38 years teaching Scuba diving from basic sport diving to extreme specialty diving -

(Even taught at Princeton University for college credit, fancy that -)

I did enjoy teaching :)

Cheers,

Pete

Hey megamix,

Believe it or not, about 35 years ago I truly thought about going to the Canary's. The thought of being surrounded by such a lush environment with so many spectacular flowers such as you have there was extremely tempting - instead I ventured to Central America - I'm thinking what might have been – Lol – isn't it always the way ?

Any way guys,

Let's not think about saying "Goodbye" just yet -

We'd still like you to stop by and visit even when you don't have problems you need help with - "Pop" in when you can and cruise around the different forums. You never know when we might have something that can make your computer work a little easier. You might pickup some valuable tips to boot. Checkout the "Safety Valve", it's a place where we "Chew the fat" on just about every topic under the sun. As an extra added bonus, when you see another person with a problem and you feel you might know something that could help, join in. As the Ogre said to the Cyclops, " Three heads are better than two." (Lol) You'll then see how much fun we have helping others. As a current member of our little club you can welcome the new guys in -

We'll look forward to seeing you. "Me ?" You'll find me hangin' out over there by the water cooler, sittin' under the potted palm with my feet propped up, sipping on a "cold one", waiting for the next "Newbie" with a problem that I can help them with - maybe you'd like to join me . . . ?

See ya soon –

Pete ;p)