1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD size

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by andysmith, Apr 23, 2004.

1. andysmith

andysmith Member

is the biggest dvd disk size 4.7Gb... all the dvd's that i want to record are bigger than 4.7!!!

help...

AS

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi andysmith, Welcome to our forum,

You'll want to use a program like DVD Shrink to rip, edit and compress your DVDs so that they fit on a single DVD. You'll need to get your files down to 4,36GB as that's the amount of room you have to work with on your 4.7GB disc. No problem at all with DVD Shrink - follow this guide - EXACTLY

ScubaPete's recipe for most excellent DVD burning :)

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/My movie Name).

Next download DVD Decrypter and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says “Verify”. Where it says, “source”, you’ll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

Here’s the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size as 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab [bold]un-tick[/bold] “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

Here’s the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive (If you have two drives). DO USE Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy cheap stuff in - )

Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select target device” once there, select “ISO Disc Image”. NEXT, [bold]IMPORTANT, [/bold] tick “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image” box. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working. I really mean it GET AWAY FROM THE PC !!

I expect a report on how you made out -

Cheers,

Pete

3. andysmith

andysmith Member

Thanks Pete, thats built a few bridges.

what is the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R???

Andy Smith

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What you have done here is called "DOUBLE POSTING".

Remember I mentioned reading - NOW is the time to read our forum rules - you have broken rules # 1. and #3. already.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

cheers

Ohhh, after thought, I didn't build you a bridge, I built a whole network of roads with on and off ramps - You didn't have to do anything at all on your own - I had given you a free pass, how to burn a DVD perfectly - I know of no one who will do for you what I did and you didn't even try it -

What will you do when you actually have to do something on your very own ?

cheers
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM. GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004