1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd skipping

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by njdvdguy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

I am using a standalone philips dvdr615 dvd recorder...it seems to skip 3/4 through the movie....i use dvd+r media verbatim which i think is very good...heres my beef....i record on the philps and watch on my toshiba dvd changer from 2001...it seems to skip on the toshiba but when i play it on my recorder it doesnt skip at all....i also heard that putting labels on the dvd can make it skip can that be the problem or do u think that my toshiba needs to be cleaned cause it crystalizes and skips.....also could it be the toshiba is just too old? plz help me

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your Toshiba from that far back is probably a -R player only. If so it may attempt to play a +R burn but will have a hard time doing so. Check the specs on that Toshiba player.

Jerry

3. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

now i am watching hte same movie on the recorder and now its skipping and freezing on that! if this wasnt me i would be laughing.....what can this be? bad dvd's? i am using verbatims dvd+r 4x....is that a problem its a dvd+r recorder...but i dont understand why its now skipping on my recorder...i found out my toshiba isnt ocmpatable with dvd+r...but why is it skippin on my recorder now?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try one without the labels :)

5. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

can u explain why to try it without the labels?

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

2 possible reasons. First one claims labels absorb extra heat and warp the disc causing playback problems. Second possible reason is that if not installed properly they cause the disc to spin off balance. Some players can play them--some can't. Rule of thumb is don't use them.

Jerry

7. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

so do u think thats my problem....the skipping and freezing seems to start 3/4 of the way into the disk. does the recording speed matter? Also my recorder records dvd+r which to my knowledge is the most common dvd format which is why i got it but yet my dvd palyer from 2001 doesnt play it. how do i know in 10 yrs because im archiving these things onto dvd i will be able to watch them?

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I started out just like you with a +R burner. Then had the same problem with my daughters Toshiba player. That why I thought yours might be a -R player. I have since replaced my burner with a dual format burner that burns both + & - and only burn -R blanks. They seem to play on everything. As far as what will happen in 10 years its hard to say. Movies may be on a disc the size of a quarter. The electronics and computing industry is changing so fast it hard to keep up with. Todays computers are obsolete tomorrow.

Jerry

9. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

so u think i should rip the label off which i just did and see if it plays better? if it doesnt than what do i do?

10. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

ya see jerry, im archiving football games and it seems like im recording more than im succeeeding in copying them and its very frustrating...what u said is making sense...cause i am very literate in video and stuff and this could be the problem cause it is a full disc label.......what do u think

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Another possible problem is cheap/poor quality blank media. However Verbatim is usually very good. Take 1 label off carefully from a problem backup and see if it helps. Don't flex the disc too much while removing it.

Jerry

12. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

thanx ill get back to u either today or tommorrow..i really appreciate ur help...its just i dont trust just recording a live game without backing it up on vhs at the same time ya know? do u think this dvd recording is just not perfected yet?

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its trial and error at first. Once you find the right combination of blank media that burns well and plays in most of your players stick with it. I use only Ritek -R grade A media and never burn over 4X speed and they seem to play on everything I need them to play on. Don't give up, you will find the right setup for your equipment.

Jerry

14. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

what do u mean by 4speed? onmy dvd recorder it has m1-m8 thats the quality of the recording...m3 is svhs quality 3 hrs or m4 vhs extended quality 4hrs i use both of them? which od u think is better?

15. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you? ;)

So this is a standalone dvd recorder? I don't have any experience with those. But, in burning a dvd, there are two different settings to consider here. One is the bitrate used to determine how much compression is applied when encoding the VOB files. That's apparently what is meant by your m1-m8 "quality" settings. A low bitrate (meaning lots of compression, and resulting loss of quality) will be required for something like "vhs extended quality".

The second thing is speed at which you burn the dvd. Typical speeds are like 1X, 2.4x, 4x, and 8x. I don't know if your Phillips has settings for burn [bold]speed[/bold] (as opposed to [bold]quality[/bold]) or not. But if you try to burn at a speed faster than the rating of the media you are using, you'll typically get skips and pauses (crc read errors), even with good quality media. For example, I have some excellent Taiyo Yuden media, but they are only ratec 4X. I accidentally burned a movie to them the other night at 8X, and sure enough, I got skips and pauses throughout the movie.

As for your toshiba, if it plays your dvd+r's at all, you are lucky. A lot of toshiba's will not play dvd+r's, only dvd-r's. So if it plays them at all, the toshiba itself is not the problem. More likely is the quality of the media to begin with (do you really know who manufactured the verbatim), or that you burned too fast and got errors from burning too fast.

16. harpert

harpert Member

Regarding Toshiba DVD players, a local guy I know last week told me he received a letter regarding a class action lawsuit against Toshiba claiming Toshiba DVD players don't play back the formats as claimed they would play (I assume what's in the manual and/or on the box).

Tom H.

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Most Toshiba players I have dealt with are very picky about what they play including some original purchase type dvd movies. Our stores use to carry them a few years ago but dropped them because of excessive problems. We deal with JVC dvd equipment now.

Jerry

18. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

so i need to purchase a basic good dvd palyer to play dvdr+ which one should i get and how much will it put me back u think? btw that label thing seems to have worked....thanx

19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Best thing to do when buying a dvd player is take a burned movie dvd with you and try playing it on the display players if possible. I heard the cheap Apex player($25. to $50.) could play just about anything that was round. So price isn't what makes a good player.

Jerry

20. njdvdguy

njdvdguy Member

heres another question..what do u think the best way to record a 2.5 hr football game....a slower speed? or a higher quality speed. does the dvd disk speed matter.....like my verbatim dvds are 4x...?