1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by titums, Mar 1, 2005.

1. titums

titums Member

I have the Memorex 16x dvd burner. Everything worked fine for about a month. After trying to copy bad santa, for some reason things went downhill. I tried using toothpaste on the dvd because it was damaged. Now when I burn dvd's it takes over an hour to encode, as opposed to 25 minutes before. It also takes a considerable amount of time and sometimes several tries to write the dvd to the disc. Also my computer seems to be running slow while I burn. I use dvd shrink and nero to write. This is driving me nuts. Primary and secondary are both DMA. PLEASE HELP.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

from what you say? did you get errors a few times trying to copy? if so xp slows the drives down and its a DMA problem...

i read its on dma but try this!

uninstall the drives in device manager and reboot / also try uninstalling the eide controller next to the drives and reboot!

just to make sure its back to default dma!

3. titums

titums Member

Yes I did get errors. I did uninstall the drives but the secondary drive is still set for PIO, and I don't understand why. What and where is the is the eide controller, and how do I uninstall it? All of this stuff is greek to me. I just want my burner to be able to burn a disc in under and hour!!!

Thanks for your help

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

5. titums

titums Member

I do not have that option. It is not set on master/slave

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hey this is off topic and sorry but I was just wondering if your sound card is working rotary..? LOL

titums,
    Try this
    [bold]CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives can revert to using PIO mode, despite being set to use "DMA if Available." Here's how to make Windows XP redetect the DMA capabilities of the drives.
    This behaviour occurs with the following conditions:[/bold]

-Windows XP is the operating system
    -A CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, which is known to support DMA mode now works only in PIO mode.
    -The drive controller is set to use "DMA if available" but reports to be only in PIO mode.

Following is the mechanism that has worked for me, please try it at your own risk, it involves hacking the registry:

1. Open RegEdit
    2. Find the following KEY:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
    3. The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
    4. Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
    MasterIdDataChecksum
    SlaveIdDataChecksum
    5. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

7. titums

titums Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes I noticed this on another thread, but was skepitcal to try because I was worried this would be safe for my computer. If it is safe I will try it. I also noticed that my CPU usage while I am trying to rip and burn is 100%, but only when I am trying to burn dvds.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It shouldnt be at 100% while burning, but for reauthoring, ripping, and compressing it will put a big load on your processor. As long as you follow exactly as stated in my last post everthing should be OK. Several others have done it with no problems besides what have you got to lose?

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

yup me sound card is aok, the one in the pic is the onboard type, i hae a separate audigy platinum running for mixing...

still no joy titums ????

that looks good bbmayo on regedit!!!!!

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Cant you disable the onboard sound in your CMOS ?

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

you can disable but the computer still knows its there! so i installed the drivers only and the question mark has gone now... but it is disabled!

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What the he!! kind of mobo do you have? If you disable the sound card in your BIOS then windows should not recognize it... LOL sorry I had to laugh at that one. I build computers for a livin and I haven't seen a mobo that wont let you disable the sound card either with a jumper or threw your BIOS.
    Any how it's no big deal I was just noticing the yellow ? in your pic and thought I would point that out.. Just being a smart azz!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005