1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Storage casing - Sleeves or Cases? (disc longevity)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dgessler, Jan 8, 2007.

1. dgessler

dgessler Member

I'm thinking of moving my collection from a CD/DVD case to single sleeves. Would be easier to haul around in a shoebox or so. I was also thinking of using mini DVD cases, the ones which are half the size of regular DVD cases. Would DVD cases possibly improve the life of DVD's? Sleeves rub the back end of the DVD's, which sort of leads me to beleive it may shorten the DVD's life.

Thanks.
    Dan

2. onya

onya Guest

Your right there Dan, the constant rubbing CAN over time harm their surface. I much prefer the hard type cases myself. With each movie backup I make,the backup goes in the original case, and the original is stowed away in smaller, thinner hard case. No probs so far...

All the best

Cheers.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have all my backups in Paper Sleeves and have those stored in plastic shoe boxes. The paper sleeves are only $3 for a 50Pack and I get $1 Tupperware shoe boxes to store them in. I then get mailing labels 300 for $4 to print and label the DVDs on the paper sleeves.

I use Movie Colectorz program to alphabetically catalog them so I can easily bring up the search feature and type in the movie name to see if I have it and then retrieve it alphabetically from the shoe boxes. Works well for me.

The only advice I can give is keep them away from direct sunlight and you should have no problem with them lasting a long time. As long as you use good quality media that will not deteriorate quick.

Some prefer the platic casses but I have used paper sleeves for years and have never had a problem.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  4. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

You will probably do more damage to DVD's with your fingers than the sleeves ever will....

5. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

larrylje,
    Thanks for the Movie Colectorz idea.
    I needed a program like this.
    Keep up the good work.

6. onya

onya Guest

@larrylje
    Wow that is organised, not a bad idea either, I might give it a go rather than use excel. Lastly, tried that technique using photoshop, works great. :)

Cheers.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I really like the Movie Colectorz program.

It will search a few data base sites like IMBD and download the front and back cover of the DVD and also fill in information on who is in the movie, who directed it the plot of the movie, what audio features and aspect ratio the DVD is in.

Plus if someone wants to borrow a DVD I make them choose the loan option and put their name in so i know it has been loaned out and by who.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  8. onya

onya Guest

LOL That is seriously a top idea, I was taking a sip of my coffee at the time of reading that bit, and now I have to wipe down the monitor coz I laughed/choked !

Cheers.

9. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

HI larrylje,

Where do you find that program, as that is really organised!
    But sometimes i find when im visiting my brother's place i find out that he has a similar dvd like mine ! (i like to think he's innocent til proven guilty!)

Cheers.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Norm9

You can get the program at the link below.

If you have an extra $130 you can buy the DVD scanner that will let you scan the bar codes and find all the information for that DVD. I don't have the $130 for the scanner so I manually put them in.

http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

11. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Cheers larrylje,

Nah i dont have 130 on me especially after Christmas!,

But i do have a 3in1 HP PSC which comes in handy.

Thanks.
    Norm