1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd to blu ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by stoobs67, Jan 4, 2011.

1. stoobs67

stoobs67 Member

Hello all! I am a new member. I was referred to this site by a friend of mine. I just got a new custom pc built with a blu ray burner included. I have been out of the technology loop for a few years and I am now getting back into it. My question is, is it possible to convert a regular dvd to a blu ray format to then burn it to a blu ray disc? I have had no luck with the research i have done. If it is possible what kinds of software is out there these days? Im sorry if there was already a thread on this, i couldnt find the search button. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

i know nothing about this but i would say no lol. correct me if im wrong but a reg dvd 4.37 gig or whatever will not be transfered in to a bluray which are many times bigger. point is bluray are bluray not regular dvd. like i say i know nothing about this but what i am saying is no fooking way. just find some bluray films from them sites we cant talk aboutand burn them.

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

yeah it could be done, but it would look horrible. You would be taking a picture that was meant to be displayed at a low resolution and blowing it up. This will cause massive pixels threw out the the video.

4. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Since upconverting DVD players and HDTVs do it without turning the video into crap, then there has to be methods to do it. How much you'd have to pay for software that would do the conversion on your PC is another issue.

I would ask on software development sites like sourceforge.net.
    Also you might try doom9 forum. There are a lot of developers there.

Unless you really want to invest a lot of time and effort you're probably better off letting the upconverters in your HDTV or DVD player do it in hardware.

5. stoobs67

stoobs67 Member

MilessAhead I agree with you. After researching this topic for the last day, i have come to the conclusion that it is not possible for legitimate reasons. Thank you for the replys. But I do wonder with all this crazy technology we have these days, its hard to believe we cant upscale something to better quality. I will check those developmental sites out that you refered me to. Thank you.

6. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Yes it can be done. It can be done for free with software linked to in this sub forum. What you need to do is go up to the bluray thread and dl the ware folders and the guide. Read the guide to get an understanding on what's going on here and how to move around in some of the wares you'll be using. Some movies will look good stretched to 1080 some don't. You have to stretch the movie to get 1080 def. You create the boarders to make up the rest. Megui and avssyth will take care of this for you. You'll use tsmuxer to create the bluray disc and imageburn to burn it.

7. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

btw a program I use, BD Rebuilder, has added a feature since I posted to take standard def DVD and output BluRay. I haven't tried that feature though. The program has a thread on the BluRay forum. The output must be worth doing since I haven't seen jdobbs produce anything to waste time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  8. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

Its worth it to me, cause I like to play around. I've converted mpeg2 vob to m2ts @ 1080 x 720 and gotten the dts file and burned the on a dl dvd and it looked and sounded like a (