1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DivX-final step failed

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by drlen, Jan 1, 2002.

1. drlen

drlen Guest

This is my first try at ripping/converting. I am backing up The Rock to DivX format using your directions at:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm

I noted:
    1. Movie plays in letterbox in my regular DVD player, DVD jacket says apect ratio is 2.35:1. However, statistics box in DVD2AVI says it is 4:3. Since you say 2.35:1 is treated same as 16:9, I used the 16:9 protocol.
    2. In VirtualDub's Resize filter section, I used the example you gave of 640x360. In the Null Transform filter box I cropped by dropping the grey bars over the black.
    3. Otherwise, everything worked as your directions indicated. I clicked start in Job Control. 15 hours later, playback in both Win MediaPlayer, and ATI File Player gave me a letterboxed movie with almost no color and marked distortion, with the video picture slanted from lower left to upper right about 30 degrees. Any suggestions?

2. d2d

d2d Guest

I'm facing a similar problem using VirtualDub. When I use the null transform filter and perform cropping, the output looks all washed out in color and is slanted by around 30 degrees or so.

Is there some setting that I'm not configuring correctly? Please help!

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Your movie is _NOT_ anamorphic, if DVD2AVI says it's 4:3. So, what you need to do differently:

-don't resize to 640x360, but 640x480 (if NTSC) or 640x512 instead and do the rest of the steps just like stated in the 16:9 guide.
    -DivX 4.12 seems to have problems if the resulting video resolution (after cropping) is not multiples of 16. So try to aim to get the cropping done so the video Y and X axis are both multiplies of 16 even after cropping and see if that helps.