1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to Divx or Xvid with AC3 try avi.NET (better then AutoGK)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by ugc, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ugc

ugc Regular member

I just starting using this program, and it is the best I have found so far. It uses the latest codecs (Divx 6.1) and (XviD 1.1x) and KEEPS your AC3 sound untouched. Plays back using media player classic thru SPDIF. Almost a one click program. Looks very up to date. IT IS FREEWARE, and I think that it is better than AutoGK. Plus AutoGK will not work with the latest DivX 6.1 codec. This program will.

Just letting people know because I just had a hell of a time finding something that would work and work well! And I want to share this info. Download it and give it a try. The name and website are NOT the same. Here is the link.

Link: http://www.clonead.co.uk/

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Why would you want to use DivX when you can use XviD?

3. ugc

ugc Regular member

it uses both. choose the codec your prefer.

4. jubes00

jubes00 Member

I tried to use the avi.net program but it wont start becasue it says i need the .net framework...How do i get this?

5. ugc

ugc Regular member

windows update site. also check on the avi.NET site listed above. I believe there is a direct link on that site to download the net framework from windows. Plus some very helpful info.

6. eddylws

eddylws Member

I tried to use the AVI.net program but it wont allow dts.

7. ugc

ugc Regular member

yeah, I know.

because most people don't keep the DTS because of space. And DTS and AC3 are very close in sound with AC3 being about 1/2 the size of DTS. As a matter of fact, AC3 on my stereo, sounds much better than DTS on my friends stereo (he has crap equipment).

If your goal is to make your movie smaller. DTS gets in the way.

I edited this to paste the definition of DTS off this site. (when you click on it)

Glossary
    [bold]DTS[/bold]
    Full description not available yet.

DTS is a private company that develops audio formats, pretty much like Dolby. With term "DTS" people generally speaking refer to DTS's digital surround audio technology that is used widely on DVD-Video discs, [bold]just like Dolby's Dolby Digital/AC3.[/bold]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  8. jubes00

jubes00 Member

I dont understand how to convert using the avi.net program. I put the dvd in and there are 5 files. It wont let me select them all to convert it. How do i do this?

9. ugc

ugc Regular member

you just select the FIRST vob file. avi.NET will handle the rest.

*edit*

NOTE: you must rip the DVD to the hd first.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  10. jubes00

jubes00 Member

Thanks....now that ive tried that it says access to the path is denied???

11. ugc

ugc Regular member

did you rip the DVD to your hard drive first? avi.NET sets up a temp folder where the movie is located(demuxed), so you CANNOT use it directly off the DVD ROM because it cannot write this temp file, and that is why you are getting that error.

you might want to read up on it a little on the home page:
    http://www.clonead.co.uk/

The author of avi.NET has all the links to software you will need and instructions there, along with very good descriptions of the how and why.

Here is a direct link to the page you need to view (just on avi.NET):
    http://www.clonead.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/avinet.htm

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  12. huckypuck

huckypuck Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

13. ugc

ugc Regular member

huckypuck> did it do ok for ya?

14. ankig123

ankig123 Guest

does anyone know what format a downloaded dvd movie must be in so that it can work on our dvd player as well as your computer. I burned a downloaded movie and it only worked on my computers, not on my player. Also if you can give me the steps to take after i burn the movie, and the steps for after i burn the game. I know the game has to be NTSC not PAL cuz i live in Canada.
    Thanks

15. huckypuck

huckypuck Member

Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'll let ya know when I do.

16. ugc

ugc Regular member

17. poke53281

poke53281 Member

Hey ugc,

I'm encoding something now as a test (XVid). Looks pretty good! A real no-brainer app. I've never really used AutoGK but have used Vidomi and Handbrake (on linux & mac).

avi.NET seems is just as good, if not better. I'll give it a good workout over the next few days.

Only thing I see missing feature-wise is to split into multiple volumes (eg. 2 x 700Mb .avi)

Cheers mate,
    poke53281

18. ugc

ugc Regular member

Good point. I didn't even notice that as I am saving ALL my movies to my hard drive without intent to ever burn to a cd. (Now that DVD's are down in price).

I can say this about avi.NET, I have converted many movies now, and every one has came out perfect. The audio has always been in sync, and with the video, you would have trouble telling the difference between the original movie (DVD) and the converted one (XviD) on my 65 inch HDTV. avi.NET has a quality meter, keep it above 20 and the video looks super.

I did have one problem starting out: I was using a beta version of XviD, and the converted movies were super small in size, and no where near the size selected. But as it turned out, it was my fault. It is on the authors website to NOT use any BETA versions because of that very problem. I changed the codec, and it worked perfect. And there is a link to the correct codec on his website. Made it easy.

19. poke53281

poke53281 Member

I had a look for this in the GUI but can't seem to find it!?! Sorry for being retarded but where is this quality meter?

20. ugc

ugc Regular member

the quality is listed at the bottom of the video as you preview. avi.NET will automatically set all the settings to start out at a "quality factor" of .20

Upon loading and previewing you'll notice the preview window changes to a certain size and certain information is displayed. Information at the top is your current screen dimension. Information at the bottom includes: MPEG type, frames per second, movie type, field order, time and [bold]quality factor[/bold]. Certain values in these displays will change as you change certain options.

Selecting a larger size will increase the bitrate, thus increase the quality of the conversion. Forcing a certain bitrate and increasing this will in turn increase the size and again increase the quality and vice versa. As you're selecting a size or bitrate you'll notice the QF value (quality factor) value will change, this is a very important value, it's telling you the amount of 'bits per pixel' that will be used according to your current setting, the higher the better. 0.20 is a good starting point, most conversion will be between 0.15 and 0.25, do NOT go below 0.10 or over 0.30.

hope this helps.