1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DivX VFAPI Codec/VirtualDub Problems

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by DoomDrago, Aug 27, 2005.

1. DoomDrago

DoomDrago Member

Hi I'm completely new to this and was trying to start archiving my DVDs.

Anyway, I was following the guide on the site for 4:3 DivX conversion.

Ripping was fine.

Converting the audio was fine.

Even initially running the VFAPI Convertor went fine.

I booted up VirtualDub and it wouldn't accept the avi file created from the VFAPI Convertor. The guide says if it doesn't boot I didn't install the Codec correctly. Which looking back, I never ran the .bat file to install it. So, I did that.

Thats were the fun began. VirtualDub booted up with several errors before giving me the main screen (with nothing to work with).

I figured okay, I would have to convert the file again since the codecs weren't installed. I deleted the old .avi file from VFAPI and tried again. When I select the .d2v file the VFAPI spits out an error message reading ??? (file extension) ???

Any idea what I did wrong and more importantly how to fix it?

Thank you,
    ~Doom

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Don't use VFAPI. That is what people used to use years ago. Use AVISynth instead.

3. DoomDrago

DoomDrago Member

I'm a little confused on what to do now.

I've got aviSynth installed but I'm not sure how it fills, or how to make it fill, the role that VFAPICovert had.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well to do what VFAPI did:
    mpeg2source("movie.d2v")
    converttoRGB24()

AVISynth is much more powerfull though. You can resize, denoise, etc. and unlike VFAPI you don't have to convert to RGB24 and I wouldn't recommend doing so. So in terms of getting video into VDub it would just be:
    mpeg2source("movie.d2v")

5. lyberty

lyberty Member

I'm sorry if this question is totally annoying, but could you point to a guide that tells a noob how to actually use that script?

(Or, time permitting, tell us...)

I've got Virtual Dub, Virtual Dub Mod, AVI Synth...

all I want to do is combine [mux] a .mpa, .m2v, and a .d2v file set into a standard MPEG... (and apply the time offset for the audio file)

The documentation for each of these tools assume you already know what you are doing, and are particularly unhelpful for new users...

I've been going around and around on the web for hours now...
    (no, I don't want to covert a DVD, buy TMPEnc, recode to XviD, make an MP4, etc. etc. etc.... ;-)

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You have the wrong tools. AVISynth serves RAW video/audio and VDub(Mod) can't output MPEG1/2 without re-encoding. To multiplex to mpeg you need something else, TMPGEnc MPEG Editor/MPEG Tools, bbMPEG, mplex, etc.

7. lyberty

lyberty Member

Thanks for the tip!

I guess I'll acquiese and try TMPGEnc again (for 30-days)...

Is "TMPGEnc Version 2.524" the same thing as the "TMPGEnc MPEG Editor/MPEG Tools" thing you mentioned?

Going back up the thread, I see that "VFAPI plug-in for TMPGEnc project file" is included with TMPGEnc... So I thought you were
    recommending another method.

Out of the three you mention, do you recommend one over the other?
    (How about from a "Freeware" perspective?)

Thanks again, Lyberty

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

TMPGEnc MPEG editior is seperate. MPEG Tools is a part of numerous TMPGEnc products.

bbMPEG and mplex are both free.

TMPGEnc uses VFAPI for input when encoding. It has nothing to do with multiplexing though.

9. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@celtic_d,

Would it be easier for DoomDrago to use dvd decrypter in ifo mode to rip to hard drive then use autogk to convert to avi? This method I found the easiest as everything you need is in autogk package (with the exception of dvd decrypter/ separate download). On 1 of my laptops I have been using this method. Kind of slow but might be what he is looking for.

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Same thing. AutoGK uses AVISynth for frameserving.

11. lyberty

lyberty Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Just had a look and I don't think it is capable. You would need to correct before multiplexing or use something else.

Also TMPGEnc does accept m2v input, just needs a compatible dshow decoder or VFAPI plugin.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  13. lyberty

lyberty Member

@celticd - Thanks for checking.

Do you know offhand if either of the alternate tools you mentioned earlier ("bbMPEG, mplex") can do the task at hand?

As for VFAPI plugin; doesn't Tsunami page claim that it comes bundled with the latest versions?

Is the plugin different than the "VFAPI Reader Codec"?

Because I've run "vifpset.bat" and "VFAPIConv.exe" and Tsunami still
    won't let me open a .d2v in the main windows (only in "MPEG Tools.." subutility).

14. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

mplex I am pretty sure can. No idea about bbmpeg. Both are free though, so nothing to lose by trying.

The VFAPI reader codec is for creating fake avi's for frameserving VFAPI. So you could for instance use the MPGE2 VFAPI plugin I was talking about to frameserve MPEG2 via VFAPI to a fake avi. By the same token TMPGEnc can use it to open MPEG2.

D2V is different. You need the DVD2AVI/Dgdec VFAPI plugin installed.

http://www.marumo.ne.jp/mpeg2/ <-- VFAPI MPEG2 plugin

15. lyberty

lyberty Member

Thnx for link! That looks like it would be hard to find...

Only apparent change, however, is that I can now add "MPEG-1/2 file" (including .m2v files) to "VFAPIConv" (aka "VFAPI Reader Codec 1.05"),
    whereas before it was only allowing "TMPGenc Project(*.tpr)"...

No apparent change in the TMPGenc trial application though.

And finding this kind of thing on the web just confuses me more...
    <quote>"Open VFAPIConv, ADDJOB, select D2V file, and press run. It take some 30 sec to create AVI file. Close it."</quote>
    [http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=12023]

As I can't seem to get _anything_ to open/process my .d2v file, maybe
    there's something wrong with that file? Besides Tsunami, how did people mux from a .d2v back in the "DVD2AVI" days?

Guess I'll try this next: http://www.divx.com/support/guides/guide.php?gid=6

...but I still don't see a way of specifying the audio offset; I'm hoping that that info is stored in the .d2v file along with the pointers to the .m2v and .mpa files...

16. gnikmot

gnikmot Member

hey

I have been tring to follow the dvd to divx tutorial as it says and came across the same problem that lyberty did. I was wondering if anyone could do a for dumbies guide on how to convert a DVD to divx that actually works? preferably using software that is free like the software that the original guide uses? i have tried to understand the thread but get confused.

If you were finally able to convert to Divx lyberty would it be to much to ask if u made one?

if a guide was made i would be very greatful

thanx tom king

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  17. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Try AutoGK. This will give you a DivX avi, which you can then convert to .divx using fuse.

18. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@gnikmot,

see the link I provided regarding autogk. Remember to rip the dvd in ifo mode first using dvd decrypter.

http://rita.lt/guides/AutoGK_DVDtoAVI.htm

19. lyberty

lyberty Member

After some tinkering with Gordian Knot (the first one, not Auto Gordian Knot), I figured out how to load the .d2v file into it, add the .mpa audio file, specify the audio offset, and turn it into a DivX... From the original .m2v and .mpa files (+.d2v, total of 73,475 KB), I got an .avi file of 37,028 KB, with MP3 audio...
    The quality is pretty good; when played on my standard TV (as opposed to the PC), I can't really see a quality decrease. Pretty impressive for an average 1010 kbps average*!

In the future, I might just go the easier route of muxing them to MPEG then coverting to MP4 in Nero Recode though. Still need to test that route.

I still don't know why I was never able to get the VFAPI Converter (VFAPIConv) to open the .d2v file though. Something I'm missing I guess? (Anybody have any ideas? Do I have to put VFAPI somewhere specific?)

If all you're looking for is DVD to DivX,
    you're probably better off with Auto Gordian Knot (Auto GK) though; see matt72's message.

----
    *target average bitrate set to 1010 kBit/s;
    resulted in range of 442 kbps - 2.57 mbps, 2-pass encoding.

(about "kbps": http://lyberty.com/encyc/articles/kb_kilobytes.html )