1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DivX / xVid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by spencsm, Jan 25, 2007.

1. spencsm

spencsm Guest

Yes, I know there are "many freeware programs" that will rip DVDs directly to DivX...but which is the BEST? Is it worth paying DivX.com $19.95 plus another $9.95 for a plugin?

What I'm trying to do is quickly & easily rip DVDs to a (compressed, high quality) format that will play in my new Sumvision hard drive media player. Unfortunately, it doesn't like Nero Digital mp4s (Nero is my utility of choice). According to the documentation, it plays a couple of different kinds of avi and most DivX, as well as VOB.

Please don't suggest Super...tried it, couldn't get on with it, you need to be a video engineer to even understand the interface/settings.

I also tried one called Magic something-or-rather, but the quality level of the resulting avi was terrible.

Finally, is there a site somewhere that explains, in laymans terms, exactly what all the 15,795 video extensions/formats/codecs actually mean?

Thanks in advance!

2. switzxx20

switzxx20 Member

Try Super DVD ripper.

I think it allows you to
    rip like 6 movies until
    it asks for a serial.

My DivX avi's used to look
    great when I used it.

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I use a program called winavi and it does the job just fine. Its not free though but worth it.