1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DV avoiding "Copy Inhibit"???

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by tripp888, Sep 29, 2002.

1. tripp888

tripp888 Member

Can anyone suggest a way to get some footage from a DVD to DV format? I tried going from a DVD player to my DV Camcorder and got the dreaded "COPY INHIBIT" denial.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

tripp888

First you'll need to rip the movie to remove the dreaded "copy inhibit" message, then convert your *.VOB to aN *.AVI format.

But first, checkout what "DV format" you Camcorder supports.

HomerJ

3. tripp888

tripp888 Member

Thanks, Homer.

When you say "rip the movie" just what do you mean?

What sort of software would you recommend?

My goal is to create a little montage of clips from a couple different DVDs. I have good software for editing on the Apple OS, but I have something iffy for the Windows platform, by the way. (So I'd rather work in Apple.) But if I can get it to a DV Camcorder I can get it to the Apple.

Thanks!

4. Zhadoom

Zhadoom Member

Tripp888, currently the only way to rip a movie is to use a program on your computer, like DVDDecryptor or Smartripper to copy the files to your hard drive. Afterdawn has an article link to visit for instructions.

5. 3rdegree

3rdegree Member

What about copying regular VHS to Hi8? I've got a SIMA color corrector and a SONY Hi8, but am having no luck bypassing the "copy inhibit". Any thoughts?

6. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

try and find out what kind of video you can use for input in your mac. after you know what you need for that, then skip the DV camcorder step and just rip the DVD, create the needed video format, .mpg .avi etc... next, burn this to cd, and copy from cd to your mac.. even easier, if you have them networked, just copy over the network.

if you know what video format you need for input to your mac, let us know and we'll show you the right direction to go to get there from the DVD.

7. tripp888

tripp888 Member

Thanks. I have since bought a DVD drive for my PC and I downloaded software (as per Afterdawn directions) and have been able to rip DVDs up pretty well. I'm just waiting to see what Final Cut Pro 2 can take in as far as file formats.

The one trouble I had in following the tutorial (http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm) is that since I'm just using small clips (30 seconds here, 15 seconds there, 100 seconds there), I had a little trouble with getting audio sync'd up at the mpeg level. (It was fine in the VODs) Maybe that's just because I was moving fast doing a basic test, though.

I'll be back if I can't get it! Thanks again!

8. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

run the video through a Time Base Corrector ['TBC'] or through a Frame Synchronizer ['Frame Sync' or just 'Sync'] -- note: these can cost you money, check ebay, you can usually get a 'DPS TBC' [ISA Card] for $200-400 or a small Hottronics TBC for $100, both SHOULD help you in making your personal backups, but you may encounter difficulties

9. kibeth

kibeth Guest

so what would you need, like software, what
    would you need for a mac?

and those stupid notifications, jeese you can
    do it if its not illegal, and i dunt wanna do
    anything that isnt illegal. just a project.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2002