1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DV ?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by andru123, Jun 2, 2003.

1. andru123

andru123 Member

I'd like to record some DV tapes from my camcorder to DVD. But the question is: will I be able to put it back from DVD to camcorder?

Is DVD format better or worse than DV format? Is not it better that to store AVI files (which are actually DV files) on DVD (or CD)?

Anybody knows what DV format is like? (resolution, encoding, bitrate)

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Storing your DV video as DV onto DVD would be better. You almost alway lose *some* quality when you re-encode to any codec, including DV. Different DV codecs have different quality as well, so not all DV codecs are created equal. Canopus/MainConcept/Panasonic make good DV codecs. I've read mixed opinions and test results, but the latest I heard is that the Panasonic codec (ver 2.64?) and Canopus EZDV codec are apparently superior. I'm still experimenting with the Panasonic codec, so I can't be sure which one is the best. If anyone knows of a recent definitive DV codec comparison, I'd appreciate it.

Converting to DVD (MPEG2) would cause some quality loss, as MPEG2 is a very lossy codec. If you plan on doing further editing in the future, it would be advisable to store them as DV video. Editing MPEG2 video streams is a real pig as well. I would write the DV files onto DVD-RW so I can re-use that disc after I'm done with the DV footage.

Resolution for DV is the usual 720 x 480/576 (NTSC/PAL), and bitrate is... something like 220MB per minute. I forget the exact bitrate. You should be able to get something close to 20 minutes on a DVD-R/RW.

Rgds,
    jnihil.