1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to DVD-R is lowering DVD quality....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Christman, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Christman

Christman Member

I am using DVD X COPY and when i copy a DVD to a DVD-R on almost all my copys i see that the quality isnt as good. Like with Matrix, Chappelles show, The Duplex, its pretty much everyone iv done. When watching the copy you can see the difference and the pixils are noticable. Am i doing something wrong? Or should i use a different program to copy? Or is it impossible to copy a dvd and get that great video quality?

2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya chrisyman,

i think your problem here is that you are doning a back up of the full commercial disc (probably a dvd9) and having to compress it down to fit on a dvd5.

if you do this then your software has to alter the quality of everything to make it fit.

why not download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both of these are totally free and will give you all you need to copy and burn)

with Shrink you will be able to edit out any parts you dont want (extras, subtitles, previews etc) leaving just the parts you require and hence far better quality on your back up.

you can find links to both of these via the satfware tab at top of screen and guides for using them via the guides tab.

hope this helps........and welcome to the club
    viper

3. Christman

Christman Member

Thanks a lot man. I Figured it was the software i was usuing. Thanks again!

4. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

no probs........and if you get stuck at all with the software.......you know where to come mate.

viper

5. Christman

Christman Member

Ok, the main video compression was at 70%, (Matrix Revolutions) Is that good? I put the quality of the extras to 50% compressed so it would free up more space. Also took out french sound for the movie. Am i doing it correctly?

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

id reauthor and just keep the movie.

7. Christman

Christman Member

when i reauthor the menues wont work right? Or am i doing it wrong?

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yes, menus wont work when you reauthor

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi christman
    I havent used the program yet(dont care about the menu) but ive heard that dvd stripper will reauthor your movie, and let you keep the menu.Try a search to find more info on,dvd stripper.(freeware)
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

10. daba

daba Guest

Hi Christman,

The quality loss is likely to be visible with a compression ratio of 70 %, even on a regular TV.

The problem is not DVD X Copy. You just cannot put the whole content of a 8.5 GB disc to a 4.7 GB disc and expect great image quality. You have to choose: either you get the movie and the extras but poor quality, or you just take the movie with one or two languages but better quality.

Shrink allows you to copy only the main movie with specific language(s) and subtitle(s). But so does DVD X Copy.

You lose the menus when you re-author a DVD with Shrink, but what's the point of keeping the menus if the backup contains only the movie ? If you really want the menus for a movie-only backup, Nero Recode can help you.

Daba