1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to HDD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by abuamani, Aug 21, 2004.

1. abuamani

abuamani Member

Hello,
    Total newbie questions. I would like to save DVD's to my Hard drive for viewing. I checked the guides and only found how to's for saving to cd's or dvd's.
    What software is is good for this?
    Thanks

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

If all you want to do is view them on your computer, you can just rip them with DVD Decrypter, which is free. Be warned, though, that DVDs take up a LOT of hard drive space, so be sure to delete the files after you've watched them.

3. abuamani

abuamani Member

Is there a way to compress the movie without decreasing the quality?

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Use Shrink. You will can create a video_ts file that is around 4.35GB, then you can play it with PowerDVD, WinDVD or whatever program you have.

5. cityby

cityby Member

karen2003, when i tried to use decrypter and when i got to the point where you had to burn .DVD, this file does not exist in my harddrive, only .ISO and .MDS... any ideas? thanks

6. flip218

Decrypter only burns ISO's.

Open Decrypter -> click mode ISO WRITE W -> browse for the ISO -> click burn.

7. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi Abuamani. Please try to be more clear about what you want to do, otherwise the help you get won't be specific to your needs. In your first post you said you wanted to save the DVD to your hard drive for viewing; later you said you wanted to burn. There are different procedures depending on what you want to do.

As Flip218 pointed out, Decrypter only burns .iso files so if you really want to burn, not just watch on your computer screen, it's a good choice to use. But if the original DVD is > about 4.4gb or so, you'll need to compress it. Many of us use DVD Shrink for that, which is another free program.

Again, the more specific you can be, & the more details you can provide about your computer system and exactly what you're trying to do, the better help you'll get. :)

8. abuamani

abuamani Member

Actualy I never said I wanted to burn. Since it was mentioned that DVD's use a lot of space on the HDD I inquired about compression. I have come across a 300GB HDD and figured I could copy some of my fav movies to it. That's the jist of my intrest to copy to the HDD only.
    Thanks for the help;)

9. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Oops, I read Cityby's comment and thought it was yours. I should have read more carefully. Sorry 'bout that.

I've got hard-drive envy -- my 3 together don't make up 300gb!! Maybe next computer. :)

10. colw

colw Active member

Flip's initial advice is correct - you can use DVD Shrink or DVD Decryter (both free) to rip your DVD to your hard drive.

You then use a program such as PowerDVD or WinDVD to open and view your DVD's on your computer. If you are even more adventoursome you can output them to your TV.

Just remember that each DVD normally uses 4 to 8GB of disk space and you also need some HD space for transfer and temp files etc.

I would estimate that consertavitely you could save approximately 15 movies per 100GB of hard disk space.

11. abuamani

abuamani Member

If I only want to rip the movie (VOB) files how do I join them so they are one file?

12. flip218

If you just want to watch them, honestly you only need Shrink. With Shrink you can either create a video_ts file or a ISO image. Shrink can open both and you can even use Shrink to play.

13. cityby

cityby Member

karen, sorry about the confusion. Using decryter, it sends two files to the hard drive, .ISO and .MDS. When i try to burn, .DVD does not show up and per the Guide, you are suppose to burn the .DVD file... thanks.

14. abuamani

abuamani Member

Very helpful:)

15. cityby

cityby Member

karen, i made it , i was successful.thanks much.