1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd to large

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by rajsehgal, Mar 6, 2003.

1. rajsehgal

rajsehgal Member

Hello

I am trying to copy my dvdr that I have which is a very long foreign movie. Its around 7 gigs, and the process taht I use currently is using smartripper and dvd2one then using primo to burn. The movie i believe ripps at 7.4 gigs. This is the only dvd that I have which is that big. I have heard of people putting it into 2 discs. How is that possible, do i make 2 video_ts folders? with different parts of the movie?... feedback appreciated..

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Use DVD2One to compress the 7.4gb ripped files to 4.36gb and burn it.
    Use DVDxCopy (for the whole movie incl extra features etc), this will automatically split your DVD in two parts.

3. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Although...(sorry Wizkid)

the quality of your movie may not actually be reduced considerably even if it is that large.

Let me explain.

1 You may have ripped the whole disc in File mode, which will produce 7.4GB, much of which will be lost in processing, resulting in less compression

2 Even if you have ripped just the vob files and the 1 relevant ifo file for that movie and it is 7GB, there will still be plenty of stuff, like other languages, directors commentaries and even subs which will be taking up space. After processing that out, there will often not be much compression left.

High quality DVD video with mp2 format sound will record upto 160 minutes or so with no compression, so...

My recommendation is that if the movie is over 3 hours, sound could be in 2 channel format and still look great on the screen (although I would not recommend that for things like Star Wars, etc as the surround sound is great, only you said it was a foreign film and I am assuming a drama!) you can still use DVD2ONE, strip out everything you don't need and you will be left with a single disc solution.

If you want the menus and extras and all dubs/subs, then use DVDxCOPY.

Wizkid : I am not contradicting you, just elaborating :)

Paul.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  4. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Hee that's ok ! thanx :)

Loaded, I asked a question earlier today in the DVD-ripping section about aspect ratio (you know 4:3 / 16:9).
    Can you look at this question and mayby give an answer.
    I guess the answer to this aspect ratio question is no, not possible but you never know !

Thanx in advance ...