1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to VCD with subtitles

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HoodedMan, Aug 10, 2002.

1. HoodedMan

HoodedMan Member

Hi all,

I am trying to save a DVD into VCD format. It is a Chinese DVD, but it has English subtitles that I want to appear on the VCD.

I have been trying to use TMPGEnc to covert to .Mpeg (which crashes before it completes .. but that is a different story!) ... but I can't figure out how to get it to covert using the English subtitles?

I have also useed DVDx 1.8a (which converts from .IFO as opposed to .D2V)... which gives a clear menu on what subtitles you want displayed in the final .MPEG .... but that just crashes every time too (on about 750MB)

I am a bit of a newbie as far as backing up DVD's goes - am I missing something really obvious in TMPGEnc that lets me select subtitles?

Cheers for any help,
    THM

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD2SVCD has a possibility to add subs to VCD. I'm actually currently working on a guide to convert DVD to VCD with subs using the DVD2SVCD.

3. HoodedMan

HoodedMan Member

Cheers for that, that DVD2SVCD does indeed seem to have a subtitle option (fairly complicated bit of kit though!). However, every program that I have tried when ripping from D2V or IFO to MPEG has crashed. DVD2SVCD comes up with an error about 5 mins after selecting the subtitle languages!

It looks like a memory fault, but it does it on a different PC at EXACTLY the same point! The problem is that I have leant the DVD to someone, so I don't have it to rip again for a bit. I do, however, have all the files 'pre-ripped' before I leant it out?

Any idea what might be causing these crashes every time. Last time on TMPGEnc it crahsed on 83% after about 5 hours .... AAARRRGHHHH!