1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to xvid with AC3 sound sync probs

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Nilee, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Nilee

Nilee Guest

I have probably encoded a couple of dozen DVD's to xvid using the "Copy your DVD to XviD with AC3 surround sound" guide that is on afterdawns site without a bit of trouble, they all turned out excellent. Except for the one I have just done, twice as a matter of fact, in case something went wrong the first time. The movie is Head Of State and I cannot get the audio to sync. I have tried many different combinations of settings in the interleaving section of virtualdub mod with no real change to the sync timing, the sound is about 1 to 2 seconds early no matter what settings I have set in the interleaving.
    Any suggestions anyone?
    Thanks,
    John

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

3. Nilee

Nilee Guest

Thanks, but avifixed does not seem to work, it tries to fix the movie but it only creates a small file then stops. Maybe it does not like the xvid encoding.

4. slaske

slaske Member

interleaving is for stretching SKEW is for moving... skew it 2 secs.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  5. Nilee

Nilee Guest

Ok, how do you skew the video?
    thanks

6. slaske

slaske Member

right under interleaving there is a SKEW option... use it and see the preview on play BEFORE saving, use shift when moving to midt of movie for sync check...
    Use positive values if audio is too late, negative if it is to late...
    USE -2000 that should do it !

7. Nilee

Nilee Guest

Thanks for the help slaske, seems I was a bit of a dummy. I was playing around with the skew settings, but not putting large enough numbers in, like 1000ms is equal to 1 second, duh. Got it working fine now, thanks again,
    John

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

If you look in the folder where you ripped the vobs, youll see a text file which shows you different streams that the vobs contain. In the AC3 stream there should be a Delay factor which will tell you exactly how much to skew the audio.

9. Nilee

Nilee Guest

Yeah, I know and the delay for the AC3 stream is 42ms, way off base for some reason.
    Again, thanks all, my fault for not paying attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2003
  10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I think the problem is because you are interleaving your audio by frames.

Or I could be completely off :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]