1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Video playback in laptop

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Auslander, May 5, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Okay, I made a backup of The Blue Collar Comedy Tour, and lent it to a friend. (i didn't trust them with the original) The only dvd player they have is a dvd-rom on a laptop, and the laptop wouldn't play it. I tested the disk on my compie and my ps2, so i know it works for me. The question is, is it her laptop, or something else? thnx in advance, all.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yes , it most definitely sounds like she has a problem with video playback of some kind !
    You didn't mention if she's able to play original DVDs in her DVD-Rom drive on the laptop...

If you could find out some tech info it would help myself or any of the v.helpful ppl around the aD site to help you ;-)

[bold]herb[/bold]

3. grogey

grogey Guest

It could be as simple as the software your friend used to play the disc. If it was Windows Media Player it might not have been configured to play dvds.

Some playing software is a bit funny with some DVD Structures.....eg I find Nero Showtime a pain in the behind. It won't always play everything.

Do you know what program it was?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Yeah, her laptop plays original dvds. I don't know what program she used. Any other ideas?

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Okay , I agree with [bold]grogey[/bold] as in if the media player used was WindowsMedia Player then it could have a problem as DVD playback is not a default setting (if I remember correctly).

Try using PowerDVD/WinDVD instead might be something to pass on perhaps (?)

Also what format did you burn the back up on , -R/+R/Ram ???

We DO need more info to help you , or everyting we might discuss here is merely speculation as to any problem : )
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

sorry that i don't have much information. I don't know anything about her laptop. But I backed it up on a dvd-r...not sure of the brand, but I do know it worked here. Lol, at this point, I'm just trying to prove to her that it's her laptop. I'll see her tomorrow, and I'll tell her she needs to try a new player program (not sure what she uses, but apparently it did work for another dvd, an original).

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi all,

and Howdy there Auslander, Welcome to our little Club -

To me it sounds like one of two possible things (beside a buggered drive which I doubt) - First, it sounds like a problem with your media -

Solution number 1, get a firmware upgrade, I don't think her drive sees your DVD as it should - many times an upgrade will remedy that.

Here's your link - http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Next, you need an upgrade in your media. some players are a bit picky about what they'll play and so they block out "de Cheap stuff."

Memorex is a good example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pop’s up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

cheers,

Pete