1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd(vob) to mpeg-using tmpgenc mpeg editor-no audio- Aldaco12 quote

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by rebelrob, Jan 28, 2005.

1. rebelrob

rebelrob Guest

Hello, Great forum. I have learned a lot but I have not really seen the exact problem Im having.
    I took 1 chapter from a DVD got the Vob files then successfully converted them to mpeg. Size of the mpeg is 125mgs. So I go to edit/cut the chapter down to the 1 minute that I want to view using tmpgenc mpeg editor. It of coures does not recognize the auido, since tmpgenc does not like ac3/DD from what I am reading. Aldaco12 mentioned that the TMPGENC SOund Plug-in AC-3 could fix this problem. Do I need this?? I also read your sticky threads about VirtualDubMod converting to mp2 or wave. Not sure if I need both the ac3 plugin and virtualdubmod or not. I dont care about losing the ac3 sound quality. I just want to get this 125 mg file down to my cut desired size and then convert it with IVideomax to wmv or something even smaller so I can email out, but with audio. Note to mention, Win media player will play the vid and sound no problem, just to large to send.

Any input or steer me in the correct direction would be great.

Thx,
    R

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

All You need is the Tmpgenc AC3 Plugin installed if you want to edit Mpeg-2/Vob files with AC3 audio with the Tmpgenc Mpeg editor....Also the Editor doesn"t convert the VOB files to Mpeg because VOB files are Mpeg just with a Vob Extention and different header Information...

Cheers

3. rebelrob

rebelrob Guest

Minion,
    Hey, thanks a bunch. I will get that ac3 plugin 2nite and give it a try. I was about to download the virtualdubmod program I keep hearing about. Hopefully once I edit the vob(mpeg) to the size I want, I can then convert it to a diff windows media format and keep the audio.
    thx
    R

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Also, some programs (VOBEdit, DVD2AVI) can extract the audio part (AC3) from a set of VOBs. After you have extrected it, you can make an .AC3 48 Hz --> .MP2 44.1 Hz conversion with BeSweet (checking 'downonvert sample rate' and choosing 'MP2 for SVCD' as profile).
    After, simply use the .MP2 as 'audio input' in TMPGenc.

5. rebelrob

rebelrob Guest

Aldaco12,
    Thanks for the input. I will check those out. I did do some reading. There are so many apps out there that do this. I guess you have to pick the right app for what you want to do. I just would like to add that I have recently tried winavi converter and zealots all video converter. They both worked great. I was all confused with the vob files straight from a dvd,w/ the ac3 DD audio. I was not able to convert to what I wanted and keep the audio on TMPGenc. This is a great program for mpeg editing though. I just took a 50mg file that I got from a dvd with ac3 included. Converted it to .wmv, down to a 1.9mg that is 1min 10 seconds in length file with the audio intact and the quality still looks good. Small enough to email out.
    thx,
    R