1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD (VOB) to Xvid with individual episodes

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Xenoris, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Xenoris

Xenoris Member

Hi all,
    I am currently trying to convert my DVD Backup/VOB files into individual Xvid files. However they are DVD backups of a TV series and I was wondering if there was a program that could recognize individual episodes and split the avi file...
    Now that scenario sounds a bit too good but if there is a way to do it without too much explanation and trouble that would be very good.

All help is very much appreciated!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you saying you have already converted them into one big AVI file and now you want to split it or do you want to know how to split the DVD into separate episodes then convert to AVI, or what???

As a general rule (which like every rule, has exceptions), each episode will have a separate .IFO file on the DVD and this file can be opened in the likes of AutoGK and added to the conversion queue.
    Then the next .IFO is selected and added to the queue until you are ready to convert the lot.
    Each Title is then converted and saved to individual AVI files.

3. FreddyF

FreddyF Member

As a general rule (which like every rule, has exceptions), each episode will have a separate .IFO file on the DVD and this file can be opened in the likes of AutoGK and added to the conversion queue.
    Then the next .IFO is selected and added to the queue until you are ready to convert the lot.
    Each Title is then converted and saved to individual AVI files.[/quote]

Actually, I have done a lot of work with TV series and most that I have seen do not have seperate Vob files. If you are doing this cheap(free) you can use AutoGK to convert to one big file then Avidemux or some other software to split them.

It is a real pain in the bum, so take a look at DVDFab, they have a trial version and it does do this very well. There are some issues with some DVDs having a time issue, audio is off by a second or two, but this is an issue on all the software I have seen, and lots of people are working to resolve it. Avidemux can also be used to resolve this pretty quickly. I am sure there are other programs that will split the episodes, but takes time.
    The question is, which is more important to you Time or Money. Personally I would rather pay a little money that spend 2 or 3 times as much time trying to split the files correctly. Both Slysoft and DVDfab have free trials, but if I remember correctly Slysoft would not do what you are looking for.

4. davehx

davehx Member

I've been doing exactly this today so I thought I would share my method.

I used DVDDecrypter in IFO mode (with a mounted image of the DVD which, though not essential, is much quicker). You can select each episode and it creates a .vob and .ifo file for just that episode.

You can then batch convert the vob files into whatever format you want them using whichever program you prefer.

5. FreddyF

FreddyF Member

Interesting, when I have some time I will have to see if that solvs the time delay problem on some of the TV series DVDs. So far every program has the same problem, which is a consistant delay between the audio and video throughout the video. Apperantly there is a problem reading how long of a delay to use before starting the sound.