1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd vs h264 question help

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by thumpy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. thumpy

thumpy Regular member

What is better quality a DVD (original) movie or a h264 720p movie?

Also if the h264 is the way to go for better quality compared to just ripping dvd movies using dvdfab. How do I convert a dvd to h264. I have looked and im a little lost please help.

Thanks in advance

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

Well of course if you ask me the Original DVD/Bluray is gonna be of better quality. Now as for portability and storage formats both have up and downsides. Divx is highly adopted by many DVD player products I own 2 Philips Players that upconvert to HD and When I rip to Divx I use the highest settings with AutoGK now I know there is a DivxHD but currently AutoGK does'nt support it this program is easy to use and allows for Converting Divx with AC3 5.1 sound that can be decoded by AC3Filter and easy to configure for pc to Sound System Playback and great for playback on DVD/Divx Commpatible Player. H.264 has great compression rates but hard to get the Sound Decoded to my surround system I am still trying to get that worked out maybe someone who reads this can give me a tip, on the other had the Video Quality is Awesome with great compression and I use my PSP for playback to my HDTV. Here are some great Free Programs that can Encode, rip & burn your dvd's Gordian Knot AutoGK-divx/xvid, DVD Fab Decrypter-DVD ripper, PSP Video 9 supports meny formats and screen sizes easy to setup, AVS Video Converter supports many formats, Ripbot264 which I haven't tried yet but here is a link to a guide someone posted, http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2518DD508BB713E8!453.entry?sa=925767927
    Good Luck hopefull this will lead to some great advice from other Forum members