1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd will burn fine and play fine UNTIL THE END

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by czoneusa, Jan 11, 2005.

1. czoneusa

czoneusa Member

Its come to a point where every DVD I burn or at least try to will mess up at the [bold]VERY END OF THE MOVIE [/bold] and I have no idea how to fix this problem Im having. I doubt its the burner... I use FUJIFILM DVD-R DVDS and I've wasted a good amount so far due to this problem. Perhaps thats the problem? Seriously I have no idea... I have tried many programs DVD Shrink with Nero and now I have DVD XCOPY PLATINUM. If you guys can help Id love to listen to your suggestions. My friend told me to post on your site and said you guys are wicked smart... so I need your help.

THE MOVIE PLAYS PERFECT UNTIL OR AROUND THE ENDING then it becomes choppy and just stops working...

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Try reducing the target file size to 4,300MB ;)

3. colw

colw Active member

Almost daily there are a least half a dozen posts in relation to DVD playback - generally in relation to skipping/freezing of DVD's on playback.

While these posts have been answered many hundreds of times over a wide variety of threads/topics, the question continues to reappear (generally due to inabilty to

use search button at top of page or to read/comprehend previous threads/answers).

Listed below is my recipe for successful DVD burning - Have burnt between 500 and 1000 without any major burning or playback problems.

People are free to accept or reject this advice - it is not prescriptive, merely advisory and has worked very well for me.

1. Do not use labels on burnt media.
    2. Keep your hard drive defragmented.
    3. Ensure you have plently of free hard disk space.
    4. Ensure you do not have sypware/virus on your system.
    5. Keep you start up menu lean and clean.
    6. Use a program such as HijackThis to ensure your start up log is lean and clean.
    7. Avoid conflicting programs on your system e.g., Nero/Roxio do not play well together - choose one only.
    8. Avoid the use of packet writing software e.g, INCD, Direct CD.
    9. Avoid multi-tasking when ripping/encoding/burning.
    10. Do not install problematic programs such as Interactual Movie Player and remove from system if installed.
    11. Do not burn too fast (max 4x recommended).
    12. Ensure definitions for virus and spyware programs are up to date.
    13. Avoid burning unnecessary extras - do movie only in reauthor mode if using DVD Shrink

<http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm>.
    14. Use brand name, quality players for burning - e.g., Plextor, Pioneer, Lite-On etc.
    15. Use an el cheapo Asian/Chinese standalone for playback - they are much more versitile and reliable than name brands and normaly handle both Pal and NTSC

formats.
    16. Use quality DVD media - Ritek, Verbatim, TY's recommended.
    17. Reduce target size of burnt DVD to approx 4400 if using DVD Shrink.
    18. Store safely and keep away from children.
    19. Be very wary of downloaded movies - in most cases they are not worth the time or effort to reproduce.
    20. Ensure that DMA mode is enabled in your system settings.

My System Specs (don't laugh)
    PIII - 800 - 256Mb Ram
    Programs used: DVD Shrink (98%), DVD Decrypter (approx 2%), Nero (almost 100%) for burning.
    Success rate: 99% plus.
    Media: Mainly Laser with some Ultra Tran and a few other ring ins, dash format mainly.
    Burner: Pioneer 106D
    ROM: can never remember - think its a LG.

This recipe has worked extremely well for me - give it a go if you dare.

4. rdperk

rdperk Member

Thanks for the great post. I'm admittedly a "newbie", and have tried searching for 2 days to find the same answer....so many sites, so confusing!
    Anyway, how about this....I'm having the same problem, movie plays fine for 45min to 1hr then freezes. If I put it back in the next day at the same spot it works fine again for 45-60min. My standalone Panasonic will play them through with no problems, the one I have problems with is a combo "cheapo" Panasonic. Is it my player, or the media? (typically use Memorex or TDK +R). Also, why no labels? Does this affect quality or longevity?

Thanks colw for your patience with we clueless ones.

rdperk

5. colw

colw Active member

Memorex tend to be of very variable quality and are not favoured by many more experienced members of these formums - they tend to be farmed out to different manufacturers and you never know what you are going to get.

Most members would also advise against the use of labels - they can unbalance the DVD or the glue begins to heat over time leading to playback problems e.g., skipping, freezing.

While there are some who seem to be able to use labels without problems, for a majority they are a no no and many playback problems have been fixed by removal or non use of labels.

Standalones can be very finicky in what the will/will not play - I've found the el cheapo, made in China ones much less finicky and able to handle all that is thrown at them.