1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd will only play on pc,not player.How can I make it work?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nyblue_71, Apr 24, 2005.

1. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Heres my dilema. A family member sent me their wedding video on dvd from Italy. I tried playing it on several different dvd players but when I tried playing it , it said "cannot play exceeds limitations" on the tv. I put it in the computer and it works,no problem. I tried recoding using nero and then tried burning,still wouldnt play on my dvd player. I believe the files are now converted to nero showtime files.How can I make this play on my dvd player???? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Nero Showtime files are nothing more than a file association. What I mean is that if you have Nero Showtime set to play .avi or mpeg or whatever, the icon will show the thing as a Nero Showtime file. It still has the original file extension.

Try this to change it back:

This works in Win XP,

Control Panel> Appearance and Themes> Folder Options> File types. Browse through the list and you should be able to see all the files that are associated with Nero and other programs. This happens when you accept the default settings when installing Nero.

It may just be a compatibility problem with the DVD media the original is on as well as the one you tried to make. Have you played other burned DVDs on your player? You might try burning to a DVD-RW and see if that works.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You will have issues if you are trying to play a PAL disc on a NTSC player or vice versa. If there is a region code on it(probably not) that may be another reason for your difficulties.

4. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks for the information. I now understand that the nero showtime files are just an association. How can I find out the original file extension? In response to your question, I play burned dvd's in all of my players and they work in every one of them. The media the original dvd video is on is I believe optodisc. I am using TY as my media. Which everyone knows is one of the best media out there.How would I find out if there was a region code? I originally tried dvd shrink to try and make the copy and like I previously mentioned also used nero recoding.Both ways have failed playing on my dvd player but played on my pc. I thought nero automatically converted the files to dvd format when burning,am I right? Anyway, I printed several guides from afterdawn ,maybe one of them will help. I appreciate everyones response and if you have any other ideas,please dont hesitate to reply. I am using windows XP ,with a plextor 712-uf dvd burner,have nero,roxio,dvd shrink dvd decrypter. Should I download DivXtoDVD?

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i like said would plum for region and ntsc or pal problem!

rip the original with dvd decrypter to hard drive! taking out region code etc...(should still play in black and white i think? if the wrong format pal etc..)

if no go then you may need to change from pal to ntsc or visa versa

is the dvd just a sort of movie with no menu? as you can load the vobs to divxtodvd and change pal to ntsc! or visa versa, but you loose all menus etc...

does your player play ntsc and pal films anyways?

you can burn divtodvd files outputted in nero useing add-video tab and place all files in the folder it makes called VIDEO_TS

========================

just thought! use this app on whole dvd to dvd and change to what region yours is! (if already ripped of protection! but if a wedding vid it may not have any!)

use HCEnc encoder is the best all rounder !!! great app this! make ya iso to burn to or just files to burn your chioce! lip sync is best i have seen its spot on! brilliant!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  6. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks for all the info you have provided. I will try all these steps. I just wanted to ask yo uwhere do I download that encoder you mentioned last on the posting? HCEnc encoder . I will look through afterdawn and see if is linked somewhere. Thanks again. I assume I can just use this program to burn the entire dvd?

7. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Ok, I downloaded the avi2dvd app.It reccomends on the site where I downloaded it to make an iso through dvd decrypter. If you know of a guide where I can follow step by step that would be great. If not,I guess I will do trial and error. Thanks again.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i dont think it loads ISO so use dvd decrypter and rip in FILE mode go to mode tab drop down box and select file mode, and if you use default settings for DD it should select all the dvd files in file mode! then load to avi, you may want to turn down the audio bitrate to 192 its default i think is very high?

hi just checked this app i am not sure if it goes dvd to dvd ? i only use it for avi to dvd but it is there? i am checking now!!!!

back in a mo!

=======================

ok yeah its ok you ned to select the disk ouput size to DVDR5 size and you are kool!

=========================

i got a sneaky feeling that on select ifo in avi2dvd it will see alot due to a full disc rip, and so you need to select the main film ifo and in doing this you only keep main movie! no extras / menu? do you want this?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  9. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

ok,I am officially going crazy now,lol I downloaded avi2dvd. I first used dvd decrypter to rip it to my hard drive. I used IFO mode . Then I used avi2dvd to encode. The settings were as follows, input -vts_01.0_ifo , output dvd ,audio bitrate 384,dvd5,english. I used the QuEnc as the encoder option. This is the information from Avi2dvd after it was done

[1:42:24 PM] AVI2DVD Started !
    [1:42:30 PM] Type mode : Dvd Input
    [1:42:30 PM] Output : Dvd
    [1:42:30 PM] Encoder Selected : QuEnc
    [1:42:30 PM] Generating d2v ...
    [1:43:33 PM] D2v generated successfully! [C:\Documents and SettingsDesktop\TEMP1\Avi2dvd_temp\dvd2avi.d2v 260176 Bytes]
    [1:43:33 PM] Adjusting audio delay ...
    [1:43:33 PM] Audio Delay done! [_fixed.ac3 0 Bytes]
    [1:43:33 PM] Start creating avisynth script ...
    [1:43:33 PM] Avisynth script created successfully ! [C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\TEMP1\Avi2dvd_temp\Avisynth_Script_File.avs 276 Bytes]
    [1:43:33 PM] Bitrate used : 7616 Kbpps
    [1:43:33 PM] Start video encoding ...
    [5:06:48 PM] Video encoded successfully ! [C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\TEMP1\Avi2dvd_temp\Encoded_Video.m2v 2169054252 Bytes]
    [5:06:48 PM] Muxing audio+video ...
    [5:06:49 PM] M2v muxed successfully ! [C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\TEMP1\Avi2dvd_temp\Encoded_Video_Muxed.mpg 0 Bytes]
    [5:06:49 PM] Zero subtitles found
    [5:06:49 PM] Author script generation ...
    [5:06:49 PM] Author script generated successfully !
    [5:06:49 PM] Start authoring ...
    [5:06:50 PM] Dvd authored successfully ! [ C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\TEMP1\Avi2dvd_temp\DVD ]
    [5:06:50 PM] Generating iso ...
    [5:06:51 PM] Iso generated successfully ! This is the file that you must burn --> [C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\TEMP1\Avi2dvd_temp\DVD_Image.iso 866304 Bytes]
    [5:06:51 PM] Job Done !!!
    [5:06:51 PM] All Jobs Done !!!

Ok, tried burning the iso file as stated and nothing. I knew it wasnt right,it took maybe 2 minutes to burn that file. Usually takes longer. Also, it took almost 4 hours to convert this! this is crazy. help! s.o.s lol