1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd will only work on computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sabco, Jan 24, 2004.

1. sabco

sabco Member

Hello, I know this is probably an old question, but it's driving me insane. Here's the process I used...I first decrypted the dvd with dvd-decrypter. Then, I shrunk the files with dvd-shrink. I then used nero express to burn those files onto DVD, but it will only play on my computer and nowhere else (I tried the PS2 and a stand alone DVD player). I am only running Windows 98, so I could not create an iso file to burn.....any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it? Thank you!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

sabco,

Did you by any chance burn your files to an RW media instead of a single write media ??

PS2's and the vast majority of standalone DVD players don't eat RW's. pack files in a +R or -R lunchbox and they will gobble it up -

Second possibility, Poor media. Try an upgrade to top-of-the-line media and watch those kids gather 'round the lunch disc :))

Givem' a shot - and - ->

Welcome to the neighborhood -

Pete

3. sabco

sabco Member

Thanks for the reply Scuba....I did use dvd-r format, and the media type was Eagle...cheap but has had good reviews for my burner (Optorite). Any other ideas?? Thanks

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Try another media - Ritek or Verbatim

Second - Tis' my understanding that PS2's like -R NOT +R media - can you give it a shot with -R ??

Also, check your mfg. spec sheet for your DVD player - older versions didn't play +R media either -

There are cheap ($39.99) DVD Players that will play circular lunchmeat if you cut it thin enough :))

Or you can check player’s compatibility here -

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Pete

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Chances are the disc was not in the correct VIDEO_TS format needed for the DVD player to recognise it. Nero Express is renowned for being useless at DVD burning, a much better program would be the burning Rom version. Make sure everything is in VOB format and that the folder burnt is called VIDEO_TS. This is the key to the DVD player understanding what the medium is, unless of course you have a DVD player with a modern DVS loader.