1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD with magnetic strips

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Prelude22, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

Bought previously viewed(used) DVDs from Blockbuster. Now, I want to back them up. I have dvd x platinum and xpress and I also use dvd shrink and dcrypter. But what i want to know is what impact does the magnetic strips will have on my computer, burner, video quality, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Prelude22,

I think you're talking about the magnetic strips on the case as there aren't any on the discs themselves.

The magenets aren't strong enough to cause any trouble when near your PC. I wouldn't recommend peeling them off and slipping them into your DVD drive though (Lol) as I'm sure you wouldn't do that anyway.

Feel free to continue on -

Cheers,

Pete

3. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

(lol) the disc itself (back) has a thin layer of clear plastic and sadwiched in between are thin foil strips. I guess they put it so nobody would copy the DVDs like the foil stickers they put on their VHS. Not sure if that's the purpose but I burned it with decrypter/shrink and it worked fine.

4. OzMick

OzMick Guest

We've got tags like them on the CD's that our University library puts on all of theirs. They are usually the theft detection strips that they sensitise/desensitise whenever the disc goes in or out of the store. I've never had any troubles using loaned discs like them, if they are magnetic they would only be very weak, but I THINK they act more along the lines of RF interference when you pass through those entry/exit scanners. Hope that clarifies things a little.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, I haven't heard of that BUT if it were to prevent copies being made it may well prevent the disc from being played also -

There's nothing physical happening to the disc, the disc is being read, the information is what's being read and ripped.

Therefore, IMHO, if it can be played, it can be ripped :)
    (The future may prove me wrong.:(

Cheers,

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Exactly.............

Exactly.............My opinion aswell, I don't think you will encounter any issues regarding the magnetic strips, but as they are ex-rentals, you may encounter read errors due to scratches and left over baby food....................

7. meowmie

meowmie Member

I have heard before that Blockbuster do something to their disks to make them uncopyable. Wasn't sure on the validity of the statement though

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I think that Blockbuster rumour belongs with the WalMart censoring their DVDs rumour ... in the rubbish heap ...