1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd X Copy and media question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TheH, Jan 29, 2004.

1. TheH

TheH Member

Hi Guys!!

I'm new to dvd writing. I have been using Dvd xCopy Platinum and Shrink for the past days to back up my dvds. I was lucky with my first 2 dvds using Xcopy, so here is my question:

Using Xcopy in Simple Mode, I got a prefect back up of The Ring "7,299mb" on one disk. And looks the same as the original, picure and sound, with all the menus.

How could that be? I tryed to do the same with another movie almost same size with Shrink using compression to fit it on one disk and you can see the diference right away from the original. Poor picture quality.

So I'm wondering if this back up from XCopy is a compress one. It doesn't ask me for a second disc, and if I do it under the Advance mode it only backs up half the movie, doesn't promp me for the 2nd disk??

And how is it posible to get a split back up with Shrink and still keep the menus? or if it's posible at all? that would be very nice.

Thank you so much for your time guys!!
    This is a very good learning forum.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TheH,

XCopy and Xpress do compress the video. If your movie is a DVD-5 (<4.36GB) then it can be done without compressios 1:1. If your Working with a DVD-9 (>4.36GB) then you need to compress to get it on a single disc.

Generally, when I backup a DVD with Xpress and the SAME one with DVDShrink (for comparrison purposes) I don't notice any difference but, as they say, it's in the eye of the beholder.

You can split a DVD with Shrink but not keep the menus, in the Re-Author mode.

From what you write the best program for you to check out is DVDFab

"P"

3. TheH

TheH Member

Thank you very much!
    I'll take a look at DVDFab,
    I appreciate your help.

TheH

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TheH,

DVDFab will put your DVD-5's (< 4.36GB)on a single disc and your DVD-9's (> 4.36GB)on two disks "automatically".

Most people here want all their backups on a single DVD - if you ever want to go that way, come on back and we'll hook you up :)

"P"

5. TheH

TheH Member

Thanks!!
    That's maybe why with Xcopy my computer was restarting when I was trying to back up a DVD-9 with it. I was geting blue screen for a second and then it restarted the computer. I losted like 5 dvd+r becuase of that, it burned like 20% and then just crashed.

And yeah I would love to back up dvds to on disk but the quality is poor on for a big movie, like ScarFace, I have not have a chance to back that up..

Thanks so much guys! I'll keep reading the forum I'm learning a lot.

TheH

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

TheH,

I'm glad you have Scarface, it's an excellent example, back it up THEN read the following -

waitin' while you back it up)

(still waitin)

"It's backed up, Kool",

read on -

I agree, Scarface wasn't that good on the original release, but then it wasn't digitized - "Ya just can't compare the two" Says I - when I saw the "blurryness", I was unhappy :-(,

But then I looked closeley at the original and it was the same :-( or was it - (check the chapter where he's in the hotel room) when I saw the original was EXACTLY the same, the same "blurryness" I then became happy :))

Try it yourself - You have to always compare apples with apples, sometimes a pear won't look the same - I was so used to the crispness of the digital releases that I forgot there was a "Before" LOL

Nice to know we like the same movies, now if you do "Scareface", you'll learn what I learned about that exact same movie -

"P"

7. TheH

TheH Member

Scarface is the best!!..
    I need to buy some more dvds, I'll get it backed up tomorrow. I'm gonna take a look at that part. That's good to know man, lol cuz I was going to think the same thing.Thanks.
    GoodFellas will be next.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'll wait for a report -

"P"