1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD X Copy Plantinum

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by jacnyr, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

2. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Flip, the reason I need to split disks, is if I copy a large dvd, e.g TV series episodes of about 7.5 gig, I find the last couple of episodes are very poor quality. I suspect Platinum interprets these as "extras" and uses greater compression. I have experienced this on several disks of TV series. I have noticed the Extras of movie disks are very low quality also, which doesn't bother me.

3. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Yes of course Flip, I have a dvd rom drive and a burner so I always use both drives, leaving the source disk in at all times.

4. flip218

nosmarbad,

I've had no problem doing large dvd's, but when it comes to episodic dvds XCopy has trouble. Same with Disney movies. Try Shrink and Decrypter you shouldn't have a problem

5. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Yes, I have realised that far too late. I don't understand why episodic dvd's are different. I tried decrypter then burnt with Platinum RF, seems to work ok.

6. PumPum

PumPum Guest

My main problem with splitting with Platinum is that I have problems figuring out what chapters need to be on what disc.

For example, City of God DVD...The movie is Titleset 1, however, when I burn that titleset to the disc, I can get as far as the main menu page, but the disc freezes when I press play. I can even access the scene select screen...but thats about it...

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

PumPum

I finally stopped using Platinum, and am now using Shrink and Decrypter exclusively. They are very easy to use, and I have NEVER had a problem with them, unlike Platinum. There is a sort of tutorial on this site somewhere to get you started.

Oh, and Shrink now supports dual-layered burners, so I never worry about compression, although I usually take out any language other than English.

HTH,

Rich

8. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

I must admit Shrink and Decrypter are good although it involves two processes and uses a lot of hard disk space, as well as taking longer. For straight movie copies Xcopy is still good, as it doesn't require hard disk space and is simpler and faster.
    For episodic dvd's such as tv series etc, Decrypter and Shrink is definitely better.

9. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

Dual Layer disks are still way too expensive and they don't have a rewriteable format yet. I have a dual layer burner but at $aud12-14 a disk seems unviable from my point of view whne single layer disks are down to around 70 cents each.

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

nosmarbad

I hate the nag screen Xcopy produces, that's one of the reasons I don't use it any longer, plus Shrink gives many options prior to burning. It's been so long that I have used Xcopy I don't remember how long it takes to burn a DVD, but with Shrink it takes me about 35 minutes to burn a DVD, and I have a DVD-Rom, plus a burner, so it is almost hands free.

I bought dual-layer from Meritline.com for $3.75US for 2 disks.

11. flip218

12. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

I agree the nag screen is annoying. Platinum can take less than hour depending on the length ov movie.
    I find decrypter and shrink is much slower, and two separate processes. Shrink also doesn't copy without decrypter first does it?
    That's a great price on the dual layer disk, in Australia we can't get them anywhere near that price.

13. flip218

There is no dual layer disc on sale for $3.75 ... if so provide the link :)

14. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

that meritline link doesn't work

15. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

flip218

Yes that is the link, and the ones I bought, although I bought several, and so far they have worked fine for me.

Why do you say the link does not work, I actually used your link, and it worked for me?

16. flip218

Well it wasn't me who said the link didn't work ... and [bold]those are NOT dual layer discs[/bold]

What you bought are 2-single layer blanks and a dual/double dvd case :)

Currently the cheapest dual layer disc is the Ritek's for $9.99 ... at least what I've seen.

17. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

nosmarbad,

Shrink can also work with the correct version of Nero, however, I have never used it that way. I use Decrypter, and it is seamless. You just tell Shrink to use Decrypter, and Viola, it does it.....couldn't be simpler.

18. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

flip218

What an idiot I am, you are correct!!!!! I had better go check what I have burned, they are probably screwed.

Thanks, I am so embarrassed.

19. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

HA HA FLIP, I just spent several minutes at meritline, I couldn't find them that cheap.
    As I said dual layer still far too expensive.

20. nosmarbad

nosmarbad Member

sytyguy, are you saying you can setup shrink to automatically use decrypter? So it is only one process? You would still need disk sapce though i assume? I must admit some of the options in shrink are a bit confusing. Also, sometimes I have had shrink freeze during a burn, fortunately i always use rw disks first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.