1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd x copy problem

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by razzy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. razzy

razzy Member

I have a problem with dvd x copy xpress 3.2.0. I have used this software many times before to backup my dvd collection but lately when I burn dvds it completes the burn successfully but when I try to use the backup it informs me the dvd is blank?? anyone else had this problem? have tried re-installing the software so this doesent seem to be the problem have also had the same problem with nerovision express 2. Any help would be appreciated!

2. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Could be 1 of several known issues.

Have you install new software. if so what?
    WHat brand and format of blank media are you using and is this the brand that you normally use or have you switched?
    How did you unistall and reinstall the xcopy program, step by step please.
    Have you upgraded your Operating system or had to reformat or anything like that. By upgrade I mean say from Windows 98 to say ME or whatever.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Could you post your system specs? And you say you have Nero Vison Express... did you install InCD4?

4. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Wow flip,

I didnt know that INCD was an option with the ultra edition. I saw that you've mentioned this before.
    I have nero ulta edition and didnt have the option to DL INCD, guess it wasnt available when I purchased it earlier in the year. INCD will indeed interfere with xcopy.
    Thanks for the heads up

5. flip218

321sucker,

What version of Nero are you using? Nero is up to v6.3.1.15, and Vison Express has a newer version. And yea, InCD4(garbage) is download #3
    http://www.nero.com/us/nero-up.php

6. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Im using 6.3.0.3 which isnt too far behind.
    I have Nero set to automatic update, I guess it doesnt think I need the newest versions.
    How about that

7. flip218

321sucker,

That's funny.. I also had mine on auto updates. Then started reading posts about newer versions.

8. mitch46

mitch46 Member

Hi, I just got XCopy Platinum, the non-RF version. It installed great, seems to do it's thing with no problem, and now I have a whole bunch of new coasters. Since there is no help button, or anything else to tell how to use it, can someone tell me where to start?

Thanks.

9. flip218

Yes, how bout tell us your system specs. Also you said you installed the non RF version... which one? And why not v4.0.4.15RF? And might as well tell us what kind of media your using?

10. mitch46

mitch46 Member

2.8Gb P4
    512 DDR 400 RAM
    XP Pro
    Intel board
    And a sony 530A DVD burner.

I'm using +R Disks. And I bought a Ripper version, 3.2.1.0, for the obvious reasons. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  11. flip218

mitch46,

Is your sony burner your only optical drive? Do you have a dvd-rom? Also you should get v4.0.4.15RF, its the most complete version, and the browse button works... so you can burn video_ts files that are on you pc. And there is a patch to make it a ripper version :) But you'll have to wait till tomorrow... You have to e-mail support@321studios.com and give them your license and password. They will then give you a new license and password with a link to download the RF version. Then once you get the RF version installed you get 321rip. Download 321rip, and place the file in Platinum RF then execute the patch.
    http://321rip.tripod.com/

But for now or till you get RF, you should update to a newer version(v4.0.3.8 which is a ripper version)
    http://xcopy.co.uk/updates/?=s76gdfdsd675abcdf565gf65a

So first give that a try. And one last question... Your able to rip, burn and finalize. Does it give you a "successful burn" message? Then its a coaster, right?

12. mitch46

mitch46 Member

Hi,

Yes, the Sony is my only DVD drive. I also have a CD burner in the tower. I got v4.0.3.8 and installed and made another shiney new coaster. It went through the whole thing and said it successfully completed the burn. But it won't play on the PC or my Standalone player.

I also had everything in the tray turned off.

I have no trouble at all burning with Shrink, but I paid for this, I'd like it better if it worked.

13. flip218

2 burners on the same ide cable aren't good. Make your burner the master on one ide cable and your cd burner a slave on the other.

You could also try updating your aspi layer.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

Installing Adapted ASPI v4.71.2

1)Click Start, then Run
    2)Click Browse, then choose Local Disk
    3)Click Adaptec, then ASPI
    4)Click Install, then Open

Will look as follows:
    C:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat

5)Now type xp32 at the end. Make sure you space after .bat
    C:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat xp32

6)Click Ok, reboot. Now run aspichk. Should look as follows:

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2
    WOWPOST.EXE Not Installed
    WINASPI.DLL Not Installed
    WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2

14. mitch46

mitch46 Member

The DVD drive is the master, but I have no way of adding them to different cables.

I appreciate the time you took, but I'm not going to go any further with this. There is no way I should have to go to these lengths to get a costly piece of software to work. I'll just consider it a ripoff and let it go and continue to use Shrink.

Thanks anyway.

15. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Mitch,

that costly piece of software does a great job, when its working. Dont give up so easily on the costly investment that you've made in the xcopy software.

Check add/ remove programs for conflicting software.
    Also, have you tried playing the copied movie on your pc?

Here is a list of the software that conflicts with 321studios Xcopy line.

This software blacklist applies only to the DVD X Copy line (including DVD Copy Plus), as well as burn-related issues with other 321 Studios software titles:

1. B's Clip: This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove programs, then reboot to remove it. For more information, visit the B's website at http://www.bhacorp.com.

2. Direct CD or Drag to Disk: These are applications from Easy CD Creator from Roxio. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start windows. To remove them you need to do to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. There you can select Easy CD Creator to change, not remove. Then you must click next until it gives you the option to modify. Then either Direct CD or Drag to Disk should be selected and changed to "make this option not available". Then click next and while the program may look like it is installing, it is removing those options. One thing to remember is that both Direct CD and Drag to Disk will not be installed at the same time. For more information, please visit Roxio's website at http://www.roxio.com/en/support.index.jhtml

3. GoBack: backup software that constantly runs in the background (Terminate and Stay Ready) this needs not only to be turned off, but disabled. Unfortunately, this may cause some restore points to vanish, but it will free up a lot of hard drive space. For more information visit Symantec's web site for GoBack at http://www.symantec.com/goback/index.html

4. DLA: Also HP-DLA, Veritas DLA, and others. DLA stands for Disk Letter Assignment. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove programs, then reboot to remove it.

5. InCD: This is packet writing software that comes bundled with Ahead Nero Burning Rom. This package will load a packet-writing software that will constantly talk to your CD/DVD writer, and can cause a number of issues while trying to write a disc. Disabling this software is not enough, as a portion of this package is always running after you start windows. You will need to uninstall it in Add/Remove programs, then reboot to remove it. For more information go to Nero's website at http://www.nero.com/en/

6. Interactual Player and PC Friendly Player: These programs are DVD software viewers that often come on DVD movie discs, and will try to install themselves everytime you watch a movie on your computer. Please make sure to NOT let these install. Both programs interfere with all 321 Studios software and should be un-installed from Add or Remove programs in control panel when found. In some cases, you will need to uninstall and reinstall our software to restore functionality after removing one of these. For more information about both players, visit http://player.interactual.com/

7. McAfee Anti-Virus: This is anti-virus software that when running, can cause errors. It needs to be disabled by right clicking on the icon in the lower right side of the task bar. The 321 Studios software then needs to be restarted. Whenever you are using our software, McAfee needs to be disabled to ensure unrestricted access to your drive. For more info go to McAfee's website at http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp

8. Norton Anti-Virus: This is anti-virus software that when running, can cause errors. It needs to be disabled by right clicking on the icon in the lower right side of the task bar and the automatic updates should be disabled. The 321 Studios software then needs to be restarted. Whenever you are using our software, Norton needs to be disabled to ensure unrestricted access to your drive. The Norton Website is http://www.symantec.com/

9. StopZilla: StopZilla can hinder required portions of our installer, causing the software to fail. Please completely disable StopZilla, then install our software. Once our software is installed, you may safely enable it again. If you have any difficulty using our software at a later time, you may need to disable StopZilla before going to use our software. Uninstallation is not required.

10. MyStorageGuard: This backup software can hinder certain required files from being copied during the installation. Please disable this program before installing our software, and have it disabled any time you go to use our software. Uninstallation is not required.

11. Napster 2.0: This software includes some basic burning software that can cause burning problems if it is running. You will need to close this program completely before trying to use our software. In some rare cases, you will need to completely uninstall this package to attain full reliability, so if disabling does not solve your issue, please try uninstalling this software, and try again.

12. Easy CD Creator 4.x: Due to the age of this package, it is no longer updated by the authors. There are bugs present in this older system that will cause NUMEROUS problems on your machine, not just with our software. Please Uninstall completely, and consider either the new 6.x version from Roxio (http://www.roxio.com) or Nero 6.x (http://www.nero.com). These packages, installed without the Packet Writing software (DirectCD/Drag to Disk/InCD), all work very well together with our software.

Spyware and Adware - some programs can install other software that can be damaging to your Operating System. Please scan for these programs with a Spyware utility. We recommend Ad-Aware, available freely at http://www.lavasoftusa.com

If you perform any of these changes, you may need to uninstall our software, then re-install to fix any damage left. If you find some of these packages, please shut down and reboot twice to ensure that the last pieces of the conflicting software are completely removed.

16. flip218

Well to each his own.. But having 2 burners on the same cable can still cause problems. Not just with XCopy but with other burning applications. Do you have 2 hard drives?

17. mitch46

mitch46 Member

I turn off everything in the System Tray and unplug my cable connection before launching XCopy. I have a paid for version of Ad-Aware and run it all the time, so the system is clean. Anti-virus is turned off, and those are the only two on the list. I don't have Roxio or Nero, so those aren't a problem.

I have set the Temporary folder to: F:\dvdtemp and the DVD Info folder is set to: C:\Program Files\321Studios\Platinum\dvi. The burner fires up and you can see the area on the disk has been burned with something, but it doesn't work, even when I get a success popup at the end.

I don't even touch the mouse when it's running, other than to click the Start buttons. And I have a stack of coasters approaching 2" thick now.

I have tried playing them in my PC, and it "almost" locks it up. Meaning that I pop it in, and nothing happens. I try to launch Explorer to tag the DVD drive letter, and it takes a minute to open, then doesn't respond. It never launches the movie player software. I put it in a brand new Pioneer player, and it loads and says no disk. Same in my brothers player.

I just have no interest in reconfiguring my whole computer to run one piece of software. I don't think I should have to.

Yes, I have 2 hard drives also. But, like I said, Shrink works, and it was free.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  18. flip218

mitch46,

I don't turn anything off. And if you still want to try to get this to work ... I recommend getting some RW's. Also have you tried updating your aspi layer?

19. mitch46

mitch46 Member

You said:

OK, run it in what order? I mean, when I start XCopy, then what?

OK, it's installed, but mine looks like this:

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2
    WOWPOST.EXE 4.6(1021)
    WINASPI.DLL 4.6(1021)
    WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  20. flip218

mitch46,

Click start then run. Cut and paste this into your run box: [bold]C:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat xp32[/bold]

Then reboot.