1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd+

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rob12770, Jul 10, 2003.

1. rob12770

rob12770 Guest

im sorry , i have looked through the archive but cant find anything,
    i have recently just bought a poineer 105, and love it, but i was wondering as the + mode writers are less compatable with standalone units and the media is more expensive, why do they exist ? and why would i want one ?
    as i say sorry about asking this , im sure it must have been answered before, but i couldnt find it.

2. Knackerd

Knackerd Guest

I asked the same question and it seems to be more to do with the -ram vs +rw as far as i can see, Sony and friends dont seem to want the ram technology released just yet mabye somthing to do with them having a massive media group. Just a thought though. Ram can be rewriten 100000 * and RW only 1000 I have looked at buying a standalone recorder and found ram discs to be the better option though most manufactures seem to be pushing +rw

3. rob12770

rob12770 Guest

thanks

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The only thing the glossary had to say about it is

DVD+R is technically slightly more advanced than its competitor, DVD-R. But the year 2002's projections of blank media sales show that sales of DVD-R media will exceed 90,000,000 discs during 2002 while sales of DVD+R media will be only 13,000,000.

theres a lot of cool info in the glossary section http://www.afterdawn.com/articles

BTW, pioneer a05, good choice, same as me, great burner!! I had no problem using it for ps2 backups or movie backups and you will be impressed with it!

5. rob12770

rob12770 Guest

i must admit once you have chosen your software, this dvd burning lark is a doddle,
    u use dvd decrypter (of course)
    and CloneDvd, i did try shrink and xcopy etc, but being a big fan of CloneCD, CloneDVD was the easiest to use with the best results :<)

6. Dela

Alcohol 120% for games :D definately just cant beat it IMHO! DVD2One is my fav for movies!

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD+R is supposed to give you a slightly better picture quality, but that i debateable since it depends on the compression rates on a lot of movies. But for raw movie data, less than the size of the disc, the +R is supposed to have the better quality than the -R. The DVD Forum would disagree, but Sony and Philips are adamant that it is true.

Chris

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD+R is supposed to give you a slightly better picture quality, but that i debateable since it depends on the compression rates on a lot of movies. But for raw movie data, less than the size of the disc, the +R is supposed to have the better quality than the -R. The DVD Forum would disagree, but Sony and Philips are adamant that it is true.

Chris

9. rob12770

rob12770 Guest

you must remember that with CloneDvd you get Sheep..Baaaaahhhh

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2003
  10. Dela

yes oriphus u can say that again ;-) lol!

I have used but dvd-r and +r and see no difference between em except the price of course :)

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, the price is an issue when you are buying by the 100 each time. Plus, i am adamant that the -R plays in more players, just from my own experience. i've tried a few Philips DVD+R's in a few drives with poor results.

We'll stick with our -R i bet ;-)

Chris

12. Dela

Definately, no way i'm changing!