1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One - AC3 coding

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Oriphus, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

By selecting the AC3 6ch sound, does this mean that you loose a slight hint of the effects when only using two or four speakers. It would be better for me to only include 6ch sound, as i have a Marantz THX 6.2 Dolby Digital amplifier. However, my father only has a TV with two surround sound speakers and a center and my girlfriend only has a stereo tv. Is it better to include both 6ch and 2ch, or leave them out and compress to a higher standard?

Cheers

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you are worried that DVD2ONE compresses the audio, then don't, only the video is 'squashed' ;-)

If you want to play on different TVs, then you would be better off keeping both standards and try to lose some extras to make up the space.

Paul.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thanks for you reply....

This is exactly what i was trying to say :)
    My problem is that i will normally be using it in a 6.2 channel environment and so would need the 6ch AC3 file. However, if i dont choose the 2CH AC3 also, will this cause me problems on stereo tv's?

I know the sound isnt compressed, but each AC3 file takes up around 250MB (2ch) and 600MB (6ch). 250MB extra space on the disk could make a bit of difference to the Video Playback quality. What do you think?

4. loaded

I think that usually the loss is not that bad, but even if it is, then you can remove unnecessary extras from the DVD and preserve both sound standards.

Technically there could be loss if the 6 channel is played through 2 channels without being decoded first.

Paul.

5. loaded

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thanks for your help Paul, greatly appreciated.

Chris