1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2one compression on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by 4mmdds, Jul 4, 2003.

1. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

sshhh

I'm reading that other forum page about your exploits of comparison tests...

Tell me , what version of DVD2One was used in these tests m8 ?

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

P.S: from what I could gather, "Cyclic Redundancy Errors" happen when the disc you're trying to rip with DVD Shrink is either badly scratched or dirty.
    Maybe DVD Shrink is more sensitive to quality degradation during transfer (way over my head, lol).
    An easy fix is to rip with DVD Decrypter, which is what you gotta do when using DVD2One anyway. :p

3. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

[whisper]i was using 1.1.3[/whisper]

4. herbsman

Wasn't version 1.1.3 about before DVD Shrink's actual conception -- hahahaha : )-~

You really need to be fair to yourself and get a copy of DVD2One 1.2 at least bro..

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

isn't 1.2 the release that came after 1.1.3?

"Wasn't version 1.1.3 about before DVD Shrink's actual conception?"
    And so were electric kettles, lol.
    I fail to see your point. :)

6. herbsman

You're using DVD Shrink 2.3 but yet you wont test it up against DVD2One 1.2 [the latest of both software]

Think that proves something about how pointless your tests are ..

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I didn't know about 1.2 when I did my test (not even sure it was out).

I mainly use DVD2DVD-R/CCE for long movies, so I'm not fussed about the supposedly increase in quality in DVD2One for long movies.

My pointless tests :)P) take some time to do, and it takes even longer to upload the results (I'm on modem, lol).
    After having viewed the result on a few top of the range TVs (£12000 B&O Plasma, £5000 Pioneer plasma, Sony WEGAs), that I will more than likely never be able to afford anyway, I don't feel the need to waste time doing more tests.
    I'm very satisfied with DVD Shrink output.

If 1.2 gives better results than 1.1.3 (I read a few posts that would confirm that, others that say the quality is the same as 1.1.3), all the better for DVD2One's users. :)

For my own use, DVD Shrink's flexibility tilts the balance in its favor. ;)

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I agree, why compare the latest DVD Shrink with an old version of DVD2One. Thats like comparing a 2003 Formula 1 Ferrari and saying it is far better than a 1990 Formula 1 Ferrari. Well of course it will be.

DDlooping: you said
    Thats not entirely true. I get that error sometimes as well, on perfect discs. I'll be honest, i use DVD Shrink all the time, a few times a day probably, and i love it. The whole graphical experience and the ability to do so much re-authoring. But in saying that, I do know that the video output of DVD2One version 1.2 is a ot better than that of DVD Shrink.

How do I know this? Take Gangs of new York. I had to compress it around Level 8 or 9, cant remember. The picture was jumpy when the scenes moved fast. I took the movie only route and cut out the credits. With DVD2One, i did Movie Only and got a very high quality output that i couldnt descerne from the original.

My conclusion, use DVD Shrink because of the time and the ease, but only for movies that can be compressed below 30%. For the big movies, bring out the big boy - DVD2One kicks ass in this department. I would also like to thank Mr Shrink for his creation and the fact he gives it out for free!

Chris_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

"Wasn't version 1.1.3 about before DVD Shrink's actual conception?"
    I think I get your point now.
    DVD2One development is extremely slow compared to DVD Shrink, right? LOL

What's new in v2.0:
    "New engine with constant compression ratio for better image quality in long movies (2 1/2 hours and more)."
    DVD Shrink has always used constant compression. :p
    "Pre-scanning of files for better estimation of destination size in Full Disk Copy mode."
    In Shrink, files are pre-scanned whatever mode you choose (I rarely use Full-disk mode anyway). :p
    "Removal of unused padding data in the videostream".
    Cool. Not sure if Shrink does this, and what difference it makes; I'm far from an expert (I bet you're pleased to hear that, lol).
    "Japanese translation added for all honoured Japanese customers. Works only with Windows 2000 and XP."
    DVD Shrink has only Japanese, French, Greek, Norwegian, Sweedish and Dutch translations at the moment. But others are being done as we speak (Spanish, German, Italian,...).

10. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks for the reply, Oriphus. :)

I totally agree with you!! :D
    Well, except from one point:
    "For the big movies, bring out the big boy - DVD2One..."
    I'd change that to:
    "For the big movies, bring out the big boy - DVD2DVD-R/CCE!"

But as you said, I haven't tried v2.0 for big movies, and maybe its compression has catched up with DVD2DVD-R re-encoding process.
    Time for a new test I guess. :D

P.S:
    What I said about the "Cyclic Redundancy Errors" is true.
    Well, as far as it is only from what I could gather. lol
    I never said it was the only possible reason. :)

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I reckon its just a bug that needs ironed out. I also had a problem where i needed to uninstall and re-install DVD Shrink because if i tried to put a new disc in, it came up as the old one?? Anyway, great job Mr Shrink is all i can say. Was enjoying ur bit or banter with Herbsman!! lol

12. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

"Anyway, great job Mr Shrink is all i can say."
    I couldn't agree more. :D
    It does look like he cares a lot about his product, and more importantly about its users (even though they are not paying him a dime). :)

"Was enjoying ur bit or banter with Herbsman!! lol".
    Me too. :D

13. 4mmdds

4mmdds Member

I now got quite a few copies form dvd shrink and all perfect where as with dvd2one I didn't have a single one. I realise its all down to my picky DVD player but still my hearts with dvd shrink, I'm with ddlooping on this one, and no its not a "DD" in the handle thing, its just down to a good progam, that is untill I start to get those cycle redundancy errors that everyone assures me I will get sooner or later

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Glad to hear you now have playable backups, 4mmdds. :)

15. 4mmdds

4mmdds Member

Cheers, these forums (especially afterdawn), are EXTREMLY useful!! OK I'm not sure how to send private msgs on this thing, so I'm just going to change this topic for a sec. DDlooping.......what results did you get on the plamsa testing for films using dvd shrink. I plan to buy a plasma screen and would like to know if copied films still keep their quality when viewing them on a big screen.

16. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

The relative difference in quality between original and backups was identical to the ones posted; which confirmed what I had been told about using my 17" EIZO LCD monitor as a reference point. :)

The Pioneer plasma was not as forgiving as the Bang&Olufsen one though.
    It made me understand the possible need for Superbit version of some DVDs. :(

My suggestion would be for you to try and find a plasma screen, in a local shop maybe, and do the comparison between original and backed-up versions. ;)

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Are you using a progressive scan DVD player when testing these on the plasma's?? The Bang&Olufsen tv is pretty good. My dad has one of them - im so jealous.

Anyway back to the progressive scan, since a plasma tv doesnt work in lines as such, you will need a progressive scan DVD player to play them on so as to double the amount of lines to 1000 and get the better playback option.

18. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I don't know if the players were progressive scan or not. :)
    The one used with the BeoVision5 was a B&O "DVD 1".
    The one used with the Pioneer was a Tag Maclaren worth £4000 (about $6500). ;)

Something that might interest you (and maybe herbsman too).
    I've just backed up "The Majestic" with DVD2One 1.2, both in constant and variable bitrate.
    Variable bitrate is on par with my previous test with 1.13. No noticeable improvement.
    Constant bitrate is shockingly ugly. :O
    I'll be uploading the files soon (about 9Mb each on modem connection), so you can judge for yourself. ;)
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=21620

P.S: I was really hoping for DVD2One to fare better.
    I'm in it for quality of backups (hence my time consuming tests), not to promote DVD Shrink at the expense (not pun intended) of DVD2One or any other software.
    I am the first to admit that DVD Shrink has its limit in terms of compression/quality ratio (I use DVD2DVD-R/CCE when I believe this limit has been reached).
    It only looks to me that it does a better job than the other compression-based softwares. :/

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Tag McLaren - please tell me you don't like that stuff! :-(

Anyway, make sure you are doing it in movie only mode and re-author in DVD Shrink the same movie to movie only, making sure you select the same sound options and subpictures.

Im going to do a test on a 7GB disc with both programs till i see the difference.

Chris

20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi Oriphus :)

"Anyway, make sure you are doing it in movie only mode and re-author in DVD Shrink the same movie to movie only, making sure you select the same sound options and subpictures"

The test was done exactly like the other one.
    Movie-only; English AC3 6ch; English, French, Spanish, Italian subtitles.
    All backups created from the same DVD Decrypter rip.