1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2ONE Guide with SmartRipper and Nero

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by loaded, Feb 8, 2003.

1. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

[Please note, the software has been updated since this guide, please read through the thread for improvements]

OK guys, this is just rough guide for those already fairly familiar with some of this software. It is not intended to replace this site's excellent step by step guide which uses DVDecrypter which is in the articles section here :

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3774.cfm

I am making some assumptions here:

1 You have done a bit of this before, perhaps making VCDs from SmartRipper, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc and Nero

2 You want a single DVD (not two, like DVDxCOPY and other methods)

3 You are not in the least bit interested in menus, extras and clips of the actors messing up their lines, as well as the music videos that clutter up many modern DVDs.

4 You have (and have used before) SmartRipper

5 You have full version of DVD2ONE

6 You have Nero

I have tested this method with My DVD player in my PC (Pioneer A04), Phillips 622 and 722 and a Panasonic portable DVD. I have used DVD-RW from Pioneer and some generic (ie cheap!) DVD-RW and DVD-Rs and I have had (so far, touch wood) 100% success rates. Comments will be appreciated on this thread, but off topic will be deleted, as well as (as usual) any requests for where to get this software for free.

Here we go.

1 Launch SmartRipper with your movie in the drive. If the files need unlocking with a software player, do it.

2 Select files button on SmartRipper. SmartRipper will select automatically only the .vob files for the main movie. They will probably look a little like this

VTS_02_1
    VTS_02_2
    VTS_02_3

Etc. All should be 1GB except last one, which is almost always smaller. You will only need to select one more file, which will be an IFO file, which will have the same number as the VOB files that SmartRipper selected automatically. Based on the example above, this file would look like this : VTS_02_0 and be marked as IFO. Create the directory to rip the files to and click start.

When ripping is finished launch DVD2ONE. Start the program, then select the directory into which you ripped the movie. Select the destination directoy (make a new empty one, DVD2ONE will make it for you if you type the path in next to the button) and hit the next button. Only one title should show up in the next screen, select it and hit next again. Check the boxes you want for audio and subtitles and hit Start. It is advisable to not use any other software during this process.

After 15-60 minutes you will have finished the compression.

Next you need to burn the movie. Open Nero and close the wizard. If the New Compilation window has not shown up, select New from the file menu, then select DVD-VIDEO icon, third down (usually) on the left handside. Leave all other settings alone. Click new and you should see the familiar Video type DVD directories on the left and your source directories on the right. Click the Video_TS folder on the left hand side (it should be red if you did this properly) and an empty window should show up next to it. Locate your compressed folder (not the one you ripped with SmartRipper, you can delete this!) and select all the files in order (just shift mouse click top to bottom) and move them over into that empty window in the middle.

Insert blank DVD-R and click burn (8th icon from right on toolbar) and some hour or so later you will have a good quality DVD exactly the same size as your blank media, which plays automatically as soon as you put it in a standalone.

Hope this is useful

Paul._

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  2. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Hi. This is the Ghost Of Klingons Past, coming to you from an undisclosed quadrant. I am not even here, really.

Could never figure out why some folks insist of ripping the *whole* dvd, while others maintain that ripping the movie *only* is sufficient. Either seems to work, with either SmartRipper *or* DVD-Decrypter.

Have only tried the trial version - three abject failures, one resounding success. Can't wait to try the full version. PMs sent to both you and dRD.

Either Nero or Primo-DVD work fine.

Trouble With Tribbles:

The trial version, with three dvds, gives me *only* about 7 or 8 almost-static images (with audio) on playback , then the player freezes. The images are crisp, clean, clear, they look *great*, but I couldn't get any normal, regular motion (!!) video. Problem discs were "Lord Of The Rings-Fellowship"; "The Sound Of Music"; and "Star Trek IV-The Voyage Home". The one success I had (for 30 minutes anyway), was the re-release of the Beatles, "A Hard Day's Night" (Mimamax), which plays back beautifully and perfectly.

DVD2One *may* be shaping-up to be exactly what most of us have been hoping for all along - One Movie. One Disc. Period. Decent video quality. Couldn't care less about menus or 'extras' - gotta get the basic movie down-pat *first*.

I'm amazed that dvd2one has been able to maintain chapter stops (points) with the transcoded file. Mostly, with e-encoded mpeg files, the movie plays back like a vhs video tape, requiring the use of the remote control's FF->> and <<-RW buttons, but with this software, the original chapter points seem to have been maintained. Good Work!

I shall now re-engage my cloaking device.

-- Klingy --

3. loaded

I think it is time to up the medication Mike.

Paul.

4. A_Klingon

God, I hope so. I've just about run out of whiskey. :)

-- Alexander Schneider --

5. HexaDHack

HexaDHack Guest

If I may add my two cents worth guys, in instances where I have had problems with movie playback with DVD2one (Star Wars Phantom Menace), I use the procedure from loaded but also use IFOedit to Get VTS Sectors and to Region Free the ifo that was ripped b4 using DVD2one.

In some really bad cases I will use IFOedit to remove vob IDs and strip the streams from the files ripped by Smart Ripper.

With this process I have not come across a movie that I could not backup.

All is ACE.
    HDH

6. A_Klingon

That's really interesting, Hex. I don't have a LOT of experience with IFO Edit, but I'm sad to see that dvd2one sometimes will not work (on playback) on its own, but pleased you can fix things up simply by getting VTS sectors.

Manually making transcoded movies with TMP, then authoring with ifoedit, always gives me crummy video. (dvd2one, when it works, does not).

-- Mike --

7. Axmiller

Axmiller Member

IM using the HP 200i I only have one DVD right now its a SONY DVD+RW I have been using this over and over the past couple days to make sure Im doing things right. My ? is will I have any thing go diffrent when I use a normal DVD+R

8. loaded

No, you shouldn't need to do anything different. The DVD+RW needs to be formatted each time, as you will have written to it, obviously you will not need to do that !

Paul.

PS : I hope all the tests have been going according to plan!

9. bennyt80

bennyt80 Member

Paul,
    Thanks a ton for your how-to. It worked like a charm. I have just one question. I was wondering which generic media gives you the most reliable result for the lowet price. I used a memorex bc I happened to have one sitting around, but who wants to pay memorex prices. Thanks again for the help.

10. loaded

The media question is not specific to DVD2ONE, therefore I would like to refer you to the DVDR Media forum please.

I am pleased the guide worked like a charm!

Paul.

11. pjskeet

pjskeet Member

Loaded

How do I keep the subtitles with Smartripper? Which are the correct files?

12. SJBaller

SJBaller Member

I followed all your directions and when I tried to burn using Nero I got an error message saying "Compilation will not fit on a blank CD". ...... nevermind..... I see my screw up...WORKS GREAT! thanks! Until next time.

13. loaded

The subs are there in the vob files, all you do is check the boxes with DVD2ONE.

Paul.

14. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Loaded, is there anyway to preserve just the intro screen/scene selection?

15. ste1981

ste1981 Member

hey guys just thought i would add that nero burns using smart ripper then dvd 2 one only seem to work on some dvd players, ive found anyway.
    i have been told that prassi primo burns work on all dvd players, but i cant get it to read the video_ts files any ideas???

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  16. A_Klingon

That's a very unusual problem. Why Primo won't recognize *all* the files in your 'video_ts' folder, is a mystery.

You simply burn the dvd as a "data disc". (Menu-->New Job-->Data Disc). Include the 2 folders, 'video_ts' and 'audio_ts'. That's it.

Primo knows enough not to burn a 'regular' data disc when it sees these two folders, but rather, a 'proper' DVD.

(Never had a problem with it).

-- Mike --

17. loaded

Sorry I have been late to answer, but my email has not been receiving notification messages. DVD2ONE only takes the movie file, there is no other simple solution with this software which will allow the retention of other parts of the DVD. You could try DVD95COPY if a simple solutions is what you want, there is a miniguide of mine in the DVDR Advanced users forum if you like, but that takes the WHOLE DVD and super compresses the extras and menus. So far, it will not allow you to select the bits you want only.

Paul.

18. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

19. loaded

There are a number of guides like that, but it is hardly a 'simple' or three click solution.

:)

Paul.

20. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I agree ! It not that simple...takes a little more time, but if you're experienced enough it will take only about 15 min. more.
    I think it's worth it having the menu and all the extra's.