1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One sounds kinda limited to me...

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by MrFixit, Mar 9, 2003.

1. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Hey HomerJ, nice to see you about, haven't spoken in a while :)

I would like to disagree a little, if I may! (You know what I said about opinions? They are like arseholes, everyone has one ;-))

I have found that DVD2ONE can make a large DVD fit onto a DVD-R with NO reduction in quality, this is because it strips out parts of the vob that are not needed, like DTS in Spanish, subs, whatever, therefore leaving the resulting movie perfect (no extras, though!)

Clearly if the movie is long there will be a reduction in quality, I would, however submit that most people will find that acceptable.

Obviosuly if you want to keep your menus and extras DVD2ONE is totally useless (at the moment, but give them time!)

Paul

:)

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

loaded,

long time no speaky....

I have only trie the trial version once (30 minutes worth).

I did notice some loss of quality (it was a close up of a mans face. There was a VERY slight loss, hard to describe, but noticable, for a brief moment. Having said that, it did not spoil watching the movie.

I think it's me getting picky in my old age. I am still seriously thinkg of buying the product.

I think it will prove most useful when the target movie is just to big to fit onto a DVD-R (say 500mb to 1GB or so) In those cases, the level of compression is so little it wont be noticable at all.

I look forward to someone doing an in depth study on when DVD2one is suitable, and when it's not, because I'm sure there is a definate niche market.

HomerJ

3. vukodlak

vukodlak Member

4. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Yes, at the time of writing, I hadn't actually tested the new version, which I have now done!

It is great, although it does not allow selection of which extras to keep. It is extremely fast, though.

Paul.

5. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

So no selection of the extra's !
    Basically its a copy of the whole DVD...?
    Did you check the quality (Movie and Extras) ? Is it good ?

Extremely fast....good to hear...how fast half an hour for lets say a 2 hour DVD/movie ?

6. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

OK loaded tested it myself ;-)

I agree ITS PERFECT, ok you can't choose which extra you want in or out .. but still.

I just did Heist full disk mode in 20min. and its perfect ! (the menu and scene selection,...)

7. staff8

staff8 Guest

Have been using DVD2one since it's initial release and have always been pleased with the results.
    Recently I discovered that the program allows you to do multiple transcoding, provided you have enough processing power and an extra hard drive.
    So I decided to put my brand new HP 2.53ghz 0.99gig ram DVD+R/RW box to the test.
    I did two 90 minute movies in about 15 minutes with the usual results.
    Using two burners (one is an external 2.0/IEEE 1394 originally for laptop), it took 10 mins. to rip, 15 mins. to transcode, and 30 mins.to burn.
    Technically I could do two movies of this type in only one hour, but the RecordNow Max software that came bundled with my HP DVD+R/RW burners
    has to verify the disc before it finishes the session.
    This adds an extra 15 mins. to each burn process.
    Even with the two burners I can only burn with one or the other, not both of them!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2003
  8. T2K

T2K Guest

you can always cancle when the disk is verifying
    ,wont harm it a bit. after the disk is through the burning stage the disk is ritten. people get confused about this.