1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2ONE

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by baabaa, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Nefertem

Nefertem Member

Hi,
    I tried DVD2one, and it's copying during 20 minutes, but after this , the created VOB file is empty. (Not a disk space problem :) and it's an NTFS partition so the file can be > than 4Gb)
    I already tried 3 DVD's, always the same.
    Does someone know why?

Thanks.

2. fleisch

fleisch Guest

Hello everybody.

I have tested the trial version and I got very impressed of the speed/quality ratio that this program offers.

My question is about sound quality. My intention is backing-up my music DVD's. At this point, I prefer that the quality of the sound would be exactly the same as the original. Video quality is less important for me, since the original sources are often quite old and seems to be have taken from VHS home videos... :)

Please, I would like to confirm that this program really doesn't alter sound quality at all.

Thanks a lot.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

fleisch: Correct. The audio tracks you select to keep on the disc, will remain as they were on the original DVD, without re-encoding.

4. fleisch

fleisch Guest

WOW. I have never seen such a quick answer in any forum... :)

Thanks a lot. I think I will get this wonderful software.

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I am quite certain, however, that the video was not taken from an old VHS! :)

If you don't need certain audio and subtitle tracks, leave them out, as that will leave more space for the video.

Paul.

6. fleisch

fleisch Guest

Hi, Loaded!

I know for sure that the DVD are not taken fron VHS home video. I simply wrote "seems to", to stress the fact that sometimes the video quality is not as good as evebody could expect.

Thanks anyway for the comments, and congratulations for the forum. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2003
  7. TStacey

TStacey Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering if I could revert back to a question that was asked earlier, about how DVD2ONE works. (I have purchased the full version, and frankly for the most part it does exactly what I need, thanks for this.) What I'd like to know more about is exactly <i>how</i> the re-compression is done, in sort of layman terms. Could you give us an example of what it decides to do about a 7gig "movie", say a music DVD like Queen's "We Will Rock You", and get that down to the required 4.4 gig. And the same for, say, a movie like "True Lies", also about 7gig or so. Other than the obvious culling of unwanted soundtracks and other miscellaneous collateral pieces of the DVD, what is "looked at" first to compress the result to the target size? And in what order are those decisions made, and so on. I'm not asking for you to divulge any secrets, just want to know where is the quality being "sacificed", so to speak.
    But once again, good job on this -- from a satisfied customer.

8. loaded

The file is not being re encoded, but compressed! Seriously though, a lot of space will be saved by large unwanted tracks like commentaries and foreign languages, especially the surround sound ones. Then further space is saved by the exclusion of subs, although not much to be fair ;)

Standard DVD priciples state that you can fit 120 minutes of full quality DVD with a single PCM soundtrack without compression or reduction of quality of the video. Beyond that you can squeeze more on by using MP2 audio (about 165 minutes) or further still if you reduce the encoding to MPEG1 (this will give upto 270 minutes of video, using MP2 audio)

What DVD2ONE does is compress the data in the video stream, therefore losing a little resolution, more is lost the longer the movie. As a rule of thumb, IMHO, if your film is less than 2.5 Hours and you keep only one soundtrack and no extras, then you will not notice the video quality reduction. The bigger loss is made when you keep extras and more soundtracks, because there is less space to keep the video, whilst keeping the audio tracks in and leaving space for menus.

Remember that manufacturers of DVDs can use two layers, which gives almost double the capacity, whilst burners can only burn single layer (4.36GB) DVDR/RW, therefore if the disc is full, you will lose something, either quality or extras.

Hope this helps :)

Paul.

9. TStacey

TStacey Member

Yes, thanks for the info. I am not wanting DVD2ONE to reduce 3 hour movies into one disk, for that I'll use that other excellent program DVDXCOPY and keep the quality. Nor would I want to use DVD2ONE on episodic disks, which is essentially a 3 hour movie in disguise. No, what I'm using it for is to squeeze standard 2 hour length movies, which for some reason occupy as much as 7 gigs even with just one soundtrack and one subtitle (and of course just the main title) -- into a standard DVD-R size. But I'm confused by the apparent contardiction in the DVD specification ( 2hours occupying 4.4 gigs) versus actual VOB size of some standard length movies. Are manufacturers of these disks simply cranking up the bit rate to make the movie occupy more disk space, in an attempt to foil people from making copies, or are they really attempting to provide more quality? I mean, a rock concert sound may be great but the picture quality surely doesn't need that high a bit rate that it takes up 7 gigs. Nor, for that matter, should some of these rock 'em sock 'em movies -- where the eye can't follow anything because the explosions are so in-your-face -- need 7 gigs either. I can see why a movie like Emperor of the Sun (large ranging landscape shots, slow panning of camera, lots of jagged edges to be smoothed out) would occupy a lot of space, but not these other types of movie. So what's my question? In a 2 hour movie occupying 7 gigs, what is DVD2ONE "stealing" to get it down to 4.4gig?

10. loaded

Extras, menus, etc

Paul.

11. joblow

joblow Guest

Hi,

I'm not new in movies backup(I made more than 150+) but I am new with using DVD2One for backup my movies. I want to know something that I really don't understand with DVD2One. I read somewhere that DVD2One can compress a movie in about 15-60 min. How can it be possible? Before I heard about DVD2One I was backing up my movies with decryptor, maestro and CCE(If the movie file was too large).

I had encode with Rempeg,Tmpeg and now CCE(wich I think it's the best out of those 3 encoding softwares), but none of them come close to encode in 15-60 min. The fastest was CCE wich I could encode the movie with 1 pass in 4-5 hours with my AMD 900 athlon.

If DVD2One can compress a movie file in less in a hour, I want to know if the quality is affected. 15-60 min it's alot less than 4-5 hours. I just can't understand how can DVD2One can reach that speed. I also want to know if someone is familiar with CCE(like me) but also with DVD2One, so I can know wich of the 2 softwares give the best quality. Thank you.

12. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Its been said often here ... The quality is Great !!! Sure there is some quality loss, but I guess that's allways there burning a DVD9 to DVD5 (dual layer to single layer).
    DVD2one COMPRESSES and the other programms like Rempeg, Tmpeg (re-) ENCODES the files.
    You said it yourself, I said it before and I am sure Loaded said it before. That's why it takes about 30 minutes in stead of 4-5 hours..

The quality is EXCELLENT ! Try it !

13. Digital-x

Digital-x Member

mmmmmmm
    are u sure dvd2one don't cut part of the movie?
    30 min for encode an entire dvd movie isn't possible... 150 kb program.....i can't believe it ... anyone can confirm that? anyone have watch ALL the generated movie?
    OMG.. IT WORK !! 6 GB DVD COMPRESSED IN 9 MIN AND IT WORK PERFECTLY IN A BEST QUALITY !!!
    (Athlon xp +2400, 1 gb ddr 400, geforce 4 TI 128 mb ddr dvi 8x tvout & tvin, 2x120GB 7200 rpm hdd, pioneer 2x dvd burner, lg 52x reader, xp professional)
    I DON'T KNOW HOW IS POSSIBLE... BUT ISN'T MY PROBLEM HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Last edited: Apr 6, 2003
  14. Digital-x

Digital-x Member

YO FOLKS, ALL CAPTERS CHECKED WITH POWERDVD; NOW I'M GOING TO BURN AND TEST THE MOVIE ON MY STANDALONE PLAYER... STAY TUNED..

15. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

For what ???

We all know it works...made a lot of copies with DVD2one allready !!

But OK we'll stay tuned for you ! lol

16. train

train Member

Yo Digital-x,
    DVD2one is the best thing i have ran across in like forever. I used to use SmartRipper, IFOedit, VOBedit etc. etc. about 7 programs to get the thing down to size and author it. Now I just rip em use DVD2one and burn it using Record-Now-Max and for get it.
    Now for VCR to DVD i use neoDVD and be done with it.
    I like easy to use programs that get the job done in the least amount of time. You want to customize it with flowing Titles/Text and menus and use a story board go with Ulead or some other complicated software.
    DVD2one is truly GREAT and Record-now-Max is also, for ease of use and not getting coasters.

There are NO knowns. There are things we know that we know...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2003
  17. TStacey

TStacey Member

To "Loaded"/Paul,
    Maybe I'm not asking my question the right way, or I'm not making myself clear. Let me try again. You say that DVD2ONE compresses the video data, and that it does not re-encode the data. So far, so good. But my own interpretation of compressing electronic data is that there is a piece that compresses the data, and a piece that uncompresses (or decompresses, whatever) the data. And when you consider that VOB files are already in a compressed format (MPEG2), then what is DVD2ONE doing? Compressing a compressed file? So is there a tiny decompresion algorithm buried in the VOB files? If not, how does the data get decompressed? Can one make a comparison between this compression program and, say winzip or stuffit? Those compression programs really do compress data -- without any loss whatsoever -- yet they have to have something to decompress the data. It doesn't just squish the data into a smaller bucket and expect that the application program can read the compressed data. So what exactly is meant by the general and oblique term "DVD2ONE compresses the video data"?

18. loaded

From one Brit to another:

There is no compression routine embedded in the VOB files. MPEG is not compression, either, but an encoding routine, which follows certain rules, common to Standalones and to PC player software. MPEG comes in different varieties, the most common MPEG1, which is always a fixed resolution and MPEG2 which can vary in resolution. Just because a file has had its video compressed, does not mean that it will suddenly be unreadable, because it will still be encoded still as an MPEG.

A VOB file does not necessarily play proportionally to its length, in other words each 1GB VOB file will not necessarily play for the same amount of time. It depends how many streams are there, audio, subs etc. These can be stripped out. VOBS need to remain at 1GB and no more, as this is the convention, but fewer streams means more play time in the VOB. If that is not enough, then the compression, which is not a routine which needs decompression, but simply the loss of certain data, reduces it further to fit on the DVD-R 4.36

Hope this helps :)

Paul.

19. colest

colest Member

bought it, tried it. it does exactly what it says it will. on shorter movies, no quality drop off. the longer the movie, the bigger the quality drop off. can`t wait until its capable of merging two or more files. If you want perfect copy, you need to use the other software, or wait until this will split to 2 discs. i am very happy with it.

20. loaded

Eventually this software will also split to two DVDs. For the moment, it is still in early stages, although it works great, it has only really been around for this year.

Paul.